My private opinion of ESCORIAL

A fencing Jason Isaacs--in tights, no less!! Sorry--a historical drama concerning machinations and maneuverings in the court of Spain's Philip II, erstwhile husband to England's Queen Mary Tudor and dispatcher of the ill-fated Armada. Velvet and ruffed collars. Unfortunately, it appeared only sporadically in theatres, and is tough to find even on DVD.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

malfoygrandma

My private opinion of ESCORIAL

Post by malfoygrandma » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:18 pm

:shock: I was given a dvd of Jason"s Spanish film, ESORIAL CSONSPIRACY, and having waited so long to see it, decided to write my own personal review. Of course first, Jason is wonderfull....yummy in the great costumes and makeup, and also extremely yummy in love scenes. All of the acting is very good, all of the costumes, makeup, and scenery are wonderful. BUT just one thing I hate to say but will... what a LOUSY script! Seldom have I seen such a beautiful movie which would be better as a silent film so the badly written scrip would not inflict itself on the hardworking actors. the directing seems to be barely on a par with the script. And the worst part is the strange additional scenes with the teen age girl, daughter of said director, in love with a man who should be playing her grandfather. All that aside, I just loved watching Jason in great makeup and costumes, with a female actress who seemed to enjoy everything they did together! And thanks so much to the anonymous friend who sent me the dvd. Thanks so much.....

malfoygrandma

dvd.....

Post by malfoygrandma » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:33 am

:roll: Sorry if you had to take the dubbed Spanish. Mine is in English, and most of the actors seem able to speak English, the few who were dubbed into English, was done skilfully. Hearing jason's voice was the extra good bonus! That voice........

warriorprincess

Post by warriorprincess » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:44 pm

I have it in Spanish. Fortunateley the actions speak louder than words.

The costumes and scenary are fabulous.

I would have liked to get a grasp of the story before the love scenes kicked in!

Love Kathleen

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 pm

warriorprincess wrote: I would have liked to get a grasp of the story before the love scenes kicked in!
The problem is that they are trying to explain the set up for the story through the dialog while they are humping on the table in the first love scene. Who is listening to what they are saying in that scene... ? There's too much else to focus on... :mrgreen:

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 pm

my dvd has both Spanish and English.....lucky for me.... :cool:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:45 pm

I've got the bilingual DVD.
I also found the tangential love story a colossal distraction, and silly to boot. The age disparity was distasteful, and why the sheriff would feel no outrage at encountering a young cross-dresser engaging in felonious theft IN A PUBLIC BATHHOUSE was beyond bewildering. This was, after all, the era of the (unexpected!) Spanish Inquisition. The director's daughter was cute and everything, but WTF? Also, why would one creep off to illicit assignations by cutting in front of the priest during Mass?? Like, way to be inconspicuous.
Fabulously opulent costumes, and Jason Isaacs did a nice job of portraying unctuous, imperious, and concerned. I also had trouble keeping up with the plot, and--I don't mean this to sound racist--but with so many gentlemen of similar colouring and small dark goatees, I couldn't always tell everyone apart, and with their unfamiliar names, I got confused.
I am faintly conversant with the underlying issue of the independence of the Netherlands, but I was still pretty bewildered.
In short, not entirely successful on any front, but some glam scampering with a sword, dude.
Last edited by Hilary the Touched on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 pm

I don't mean this to sound racist--but with so many gentlemen of similar colouring and small dark goatees, I couldn't always tell everyone apart, and with their unfamiliar names, I got confused.

Right there with ya. It was a head-scratcher for me, too.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:30 am

I had the same problem, and I thought it was just me!! LOL

wonderful costumes, fabulous locations, and indeed, who wouldn't want
2C Mr Jason dueling with a sword...

I knew not to take this film too seriously

I didn't feel any chemistry between Jason and Julia Ormand....

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:07 am

One thing I like about this movie is Jason Isaacs in period costume LOL

I love historical pieces because they take me to the past, but for some reason, I didn't find this one appealing.

~me

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:33 pm

Tavington has spoiled us, hasn't he Angel? ;-)

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Haven't seen it yet. Someday I'll find a region 1 DVD. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Roz

Post by Roz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:16 am

grannybear wrote:Haven't seen it yet. Someday I'll find a region 1 DVD. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
Ditto, grannybear!

warriorprincess

Post by warriorprincess » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:41 pm

I just love Jason in period costume.....................laced up or undone! I really don't mind!

Love Kathleen

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:08 am

kjshd05 wrote:I didn't feel any chemistry between Jason and Julia Ormand....
Me neither. They just seemed to be physically attracted to each other, and have common political interests... But we didn't get to see anything between them that showed that they cared about each other. So I think it got very "mechanical".
Just a lot of humping and plotting, nothing on the personal connection. That made the story less interesting than it could have been...
...Not that I didn't enjoy watching though :oops:

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:13 am

I'm with you there, thunder.

Also that fight scene near the end was out of place. Maybe because it just seemed too comical. Reminded me of something you'd see in a Three Musketeers movie.

Return to “La Conjura de El Escorial (aka The El Escorial Conspiracy)”