Interviews

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Interviews

Post by thunder » Wed May 25, 2011 9:25 am

Finally! :woot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressr ... aacs.shtml

It's long and interesting, I'm off to read it again :D

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Re: Interviews

Post by kjshd05 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:52 am

wow thunder, that is a great interview :woot

thanx so very much :hug

I luv his in depth interviews (Achilles tendon has been bothering him for years)

inamac

Post by inamac » Wed May 25, 2011 10:51 am

Phew! Motormouth was certainly on form! I love reading Jason's interviews, you never get monosyllabic or trite answers to even the most basic of questions.

And I am really looking forward to seeing some of those scenes from the book coming to life (especially the sisters bickering over Jackson.)

(I wonder how many other sources will be quoting this?)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Having read the books and knowing the stories, we now know Jason's thoughts and ideas about how Jackson comes to life. Thanks for that! Greaaaat interview.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed May 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks Thunder. I will read it when I have time to enjoy it. Image
I just wanted to post now that someone on "the other board I frequent" posted it too. I thought that was a good sign that there is interest elsewhere, not just us.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Wed May 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Wonderful interview - always a delight to hear/read his thoughts. He has remarkable but equally very accessible insight.

Funny that they mis-transcribed the two sisters as the 'land girls' (women who worked on the farms during WWII) as opposed to the Land girls (their surname being Land)!!

The man can talk for England, though ... (Not that I'm complaining)

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed May 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Ok, I read it. He does give a great interview
laurielove wrote:
Funny that they mis-transcribed the two sisters as the 'land girls' (women who worked on the farms during WWII) as opposed to the Land girls (their surname being Land)!!
Yes, for a second I thought, "Wait, did I miss a chapter?" Image

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed May 25, 2011 9:21 pm

What a great interview. Thanks thunder.

Jason always give an interesting talk. I think he enjoys doing them and that's why they come out so well.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu May 26, 2011 9:09 am

I love his answer to how he got into acting

"I think I was probably always a liar; I just get paid for it now"

I've never read that answer any place before. It's great.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri May 27, 2011 6:51 am

The interview has now got a trailer attached to it, but "not available in your area" for me. :razzlite

Seriously, what harm would it do making it available worldwide...? :roll:

Why do they even bother, it will be on YT within a couple of hours.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:36 am

it also does not work here in the US thunder :-(

waiting for the youtube version :D

the vid is only 39 secs long, maybe it's the one we've already seen??? with Jason filming from his iPhone??

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri May 27, 2011 9:36 am

Ok, now I'm trying to remember if there was a video there when I first clicked on this. I think it was only text. :???:

My comment suggests that. In any case, the link doesn't work in Canada, no surprise.

I agree with those who find it not just frustrating, but foolish that the Beeb doesn't make this type of promotion available internationally. Lots of people who would never be able to watch Beeb programmes on the tv buy dvds; the internet is the way they fiind out about them.

I suppose it has to do with the Beeb's licensing fee?

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri May 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Maybe it's just me but from the interview it sounds as if there will be quite a few changes made from book to film. I realize there always are because the medias are so different. Sounds like there is more Jackson Brody on the film then in the book which is good for us. More Jason. I just hope they keep the tone of the books because they were very enjoyable.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Fri May 27, 2011 3:25 pm

grannybear wrote:Maybe it's just me but from the interview it sounds as if there will be quite a few changes made from book to film. I realize there always are because the medias are so different. Sounds like there is more Jackson Brody on the film then in the book which is good for us. More Jason. I just hope they keep the tone of the books because they were very enjoyable.
As J says, it is such a completely different medium - it would be impossible to translate the books to television as they are. When I read them I was rather stumped as to how they were even going to attempt it, to be honest. The books play on internal thought processes and an utterly disaligned time sequence. They will have to be reworked to be presented through a visual narrative. We will have to view Case Histories the book and Case Histories the TV series as two very distinct things. That's fine by me - that is how all adaptations should be seen. But other people, especially those with a fondness for the original form, are not so forgiving. They will inevitably feel disappointment if the same feelings are not evoked in them that were when they first came across something in its original form.

I really hope people aren't going to judge this based on how it differs from the books. It will. It has to. What will unite them both is the character of Jackson Brodie.

Good.
Last edited by laurielove on Fri May 27, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri May 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Usually I don't go to see the movie if i have read the book. If I do go I try really hard to divorce the book from the movie.
In this case because Jason is in it I will of course watch but will keep the books in the back of my mind.

Return to “Case Histories”