Fifth Episode: SPOILERS

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Fifth Episode: SPOILERS

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:04 am

When Will there be Good News Part 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0123x0p

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Re: Fifth Episode: SPOILERS

Post by laurielove » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:24 am

OK ... kit still off but there's a limit to how far even I would go to expect it. Poor baby.

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:33 am

Actually, I'm doing an awful lot of looking. TLC on offer.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:46 am

:shock: OMG, poor Jackson! What happened to him?

(can't stop staring at his chest...)

~me

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:54 am

TRAIN WRECK (per the book)

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:44 am

This is the one book I haven't read. I was about to but after the first episode I decided not to as I think I may appreciate it more this way.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:05 pm

It was interesting to read the comments to the 5th episode. Up to now all have been raves but now some negative remarks are creeping in. This is usual but since they didn't appear in the first 4 episodes I wonder if this one doesn't come up to the standards of the first 4. I'd have to see for myself.

I'm halfway thru "Started Early, Took my dog" and I can see where it would be easy for Jason to film even if he's still tied up with Awake. Two distinct and separate story lines that I'm sure will meet in the future. This means he wouldn't have to be there for the complete filming. We'll see.

inamac

Post by inamac » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:15 pm

I think the negative responses may be from people who've read the book - I gather (I've not) that this one departs quite a lot from the text . But I'm enjoying it as a drama just as much as the previous one.

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Just finished.

It was wonderful. I probably enjoyed it the most so far. I think it helped that I DON'T know the book, to be honest. More great acting, and great black humour too. Poor, poor Jackson. The close encounter with a train does not serve him well (as it wouldn't) and he suffers throughout the episode, rather spectacularly.

Great characters, especially Reggie, the young girl (who calls herself that as she was unfortunately christened Regina): a fantastic actor who compensates for the lack of Marlee. :-(

Totty count: Yeah, lots in the hospital bed. OK, he had to have lots of wires and things stuck on him, but isn't it usual for people to have some form of gown or smock on in a hospital bed!!?? I ain't complaining, just ... the word 'gratuitous' springs to mind. Yes! The more gratuitous shirtlessness, the better.

Oh, and, despite the imminent approach of a train and the sexlessness of the presence of a Nissan Micra, there was some rather lovely upside down bottom wiggling and leg waggling. I can't really explain any more.

The heading in the Sunday TImes culture section for today's ep is: Too sexy for his shirt.

Damn right.

grannybear, you say you've read some more negative comments for this ep. There have been differing opinions all along, but I've read some really good ones for this. The RT was much more favourable about this one, as was yesterday's TImes which really praised it. On balance, it's been pretty good.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:34 pm

book is very graphic about the train wreck, with Jackson inside the train, going in the wrong direction...

I am actually enjoying comparing the book to the tv eps, not complaining, just liking the differences....

fascinating how diff TV is compared to a novel :yip

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:10 pm

but isn't it usual for people to have some form of gown or smock on in a hospital bed!!?? I ain't complaining, just ... the word 'gratuitous' springs to mind.

This is why there wasn't much shirtlessness in eps. 3 and 4 . . . to keep us coming back in hopes of more. And they/he delivered.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Makes life interesting. YUMMY!

(I may have grey hair but there's nothing wrong with my eyes).

inamac

Post by inamac » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:16 am

I caught up on the twitter comments (which were much more numerous for this episode than any previous ones - 'trending on Twitter' indeed!) and didn't see any negative comments apart from the usual ones about the lack of Scottish accents - which is frankly becoming tiring - and errors in Scottish education (apparently they don't have 'A Levels'). While I have some sympathy with the Scots for the inaccuracies, I don't think it's going to affect the wider popularity of the series - especially in places where they'd have to have subtitles if everyone was really speaking in a thick Embra accent...

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:54 am

inamac, I guess some people have to complain about something. It makes their world go round. :rave

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:45 pm

(I may have grey hair but there's nothing wrong with my eyes).
LOL! ;)
He seems to have that effect on women of all ages.

~me

Return to “Case Histories”