Case Histories actors in other projects

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

fruitbat

Case Histories actors in other projects

Post by fruitbat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:05 pm

We have one of these threads on the Brotherhood board so I thought no one would mind me starting one here. :D

I bought the dvd of the mini series Vanity Fair which stars Natasha Little (who played Julia in CH) as Becky Sharp.

I bought it as I'd heard good things about Philip Glenister who plays Dobbin. If anyone has seen him as Gene Hunt in Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes you have to see him here. He is wonderful.

Natasha Little was very good; I always found it difficult to sympathise with Becky, but I found her a much warmer Becky than Reese Witherspoon who I had seen in the recent movie version. Although I couldn't for the life of me remember much of the book, I knew the novel required a six-part mini rather a 2 hours (or less) film.

Keep an eye out if it ever comes to tv or a video store near you.

fruitbat

Re: Case Histories actors in other projects

Post by fruitbat » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:27 am

Rose Leslie, who played Laure Wyre, is in Downton Abbey. (Which my PBS is replaying on Sundays, leading up to series 2 which begins Jan. 8!!!!!)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Loved Downton Abbey. Can't wait for season 2. :wheee

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:53 pm

I need to check that out. Been hearing rave reviews about it, but I've missed a lot. Maaaaaa-an.
~ML :bang :bag: :oops:

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 am

marilaine -

*Run* don't walk to Netflix and stream Downton Abbey season 1. :D And then you can watch season 2 on PBS.org. Unfortunately, the last episode of season 2 will be airing on Sunday night (the Christmas special). It's excellent. :wheee They only had one slight head-scratching, "why did they do that? It made no sense" moment, which is in season 2, and I don't want to spoil it for any one. I will be very sad until season 3 comes, even if it does come with what's her face as the American mother of Lady Grantham.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Amazon sent Season 2 early. Received it Wednesday. Watched the last episode Wednesday night. It does not disappoint!!!!

And what's wrong with Elizabeth McGovern? She's an American expat, married to a Brit, living in England, playing an American expat, married to a Brit, living in England. You don't get better hands-on experience than that. I think she's doing a good job, going toe to toe with her ever-disapproving mother-in-law and the ever-disagreeable Mrs. Crawley. Just wish Lady Grantham would open her eyes to her lady's maid.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Nothing is wrong with EM. I like EM.

I said the mother of Lady Grantham, who is going to be played by... I can never remember her name even though I can see her face...ermm... Shirley Maclaine. I have a hard time seeing SM as Lady G's mom - but - because my friends and I discussed this in depth-it is probably because I never saw her big role in Terms of Endearment. I still see her as Mrs. Winterbourne or Two Mules for Sister Sarah, which does not inspire me. I guess I'm worried that they are going to make her into the stereotypical nouveau riche American railway-baroness matriach - gauche, loud, overbearing. So I sit and hope that they'll treat us right for season 3.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Ah. I missed the distinction. Sorry.

Yeah. I, too, was surprised to see Shirley MacLaine mentioned as Cora's mother. But, I suspect that a "gauche, loud, overbearing" American would be exactly what they're going for. Alas.

And now, we've gone off topic long enough. :oops: Back to CH actors in other projects . . .

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:11 am

fruitbat wrote:Rose Leslie, who played Laure Wyre, is in Downton Abbey. (Which my PBS is replaying on Sundays, leading up to series 2 which begins Jan. 8!!!!!)
And now she is in Game of Thrones, season 2, as Ygritte.
It looks like Rose Leslie is the closest we're going to get to CH this spring. :-(

CaseHistories

Post by CaseHistories » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:25 am

Amanda Abbington joins the cast of Sherlock Series 3

http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2013/ ... ing-270313

Is she still gonna be in Case Histories then?

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:15 am

They wrapped filming Case Histories series 2 months ago...

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 pm

A number of Scottish actors involved in the first series of Case Histories are also in the superb "Single Father", especially Millie Innes. It's a beautiful 4 part drama including David Tennant. I can recommend it. It will make you cry, but it is lovely.

Hooroo,
Carole

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Amanda Abbington is in Mr. Selfridge., a miniseries about the founder of Selfridge's in London. When I first read about this project, I thought how horrible the casting was; Jeremy Piven in the title role! Then I read a little further, beyond the headline, ahem, and discovered that the real Mr. Selfridge was, in fact, American. :oops:

It began on my PBS last week, although I just watched it last night. Series 1 is to be continued tonight and a second series has apparently been commissioned. It's no Downton Abbey but I am enjoying it, as I tend to enjoy most period dramas.

MTA: Tom Goodman-Hill, who played Neil Hunter in CH, is also in this show.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Why, yes, Mr. Selfridge was American! In fact, he was born in Ripon, Wisconsin, which is also home to my undergrad uni alma mater. Mr. S is also said to have coined the phrases: "The customer is always right," and "X number of days 'til Christmas" while he worked at Marshall Fields department store in Chicago. I'm a little on the fence about the show. I was a little disappointed about how bombastic they portray Mr. S - it's almost like a cariacature of how Brits view Americans (of course...I have no idea if that was really how he was personality-wise -if so, then I guess they are right on the mark). I think that the females have some great well-rounded parts, but I just wish Piven's was a little bit more in depth. The bad thing is that the show time conflicts directly with Game of Thrones. durrr....

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:14 pm

LadySekhmet wrote:Why, yes, Mr. Selfridge was American! In fact, he was born in Ripon, Wisconsin, which is also home to my undergrad uni alma mater (and the mysterious college from which Harrison Ford never graduated...(but that's okay, Ford's still my hero!)). Mr. S is also said to have coined the phrases: "The customer is always right," and "X number of days 'til Christmas" while he worked at Marshall Fields department store in Chicago. I'm a little on the fence about the show. I was a little disappointed about how bombastic they portray Mr. S - it's almost like a cariacature of how Brits view Americans (of course...I have no idea if that was really how he was personality-wise -if so, then I guess they are right on the mark). I think that the females have some great well-rounded parts, but I just wish Piven's was a little bit more in depth. The bad thing is that the show time conflicts directly with Game of Thrones. durrr....
LadySek, I did find at first that he was a little too much the stereotypical "pushy American", but then, considering it's Jeremy Piven I think he's playing it quite restrained compared to his other roles. They haven't really shown any of his past, just a reference to his work in newspapers. (Or was that his father who was referred to?)

In my case, part one was one against the season finale of The Walking Dead last week, and up against the season premiere of Mad Men, this week. I'll be taping it next Saturday.

Return to “Case Histories”