BBC trailers (with some CH series 2)

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

servalan

Re: BBC trailers (with some CH series 2)

Post by servalan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Kate Atkinson, the author of Case Histories, was on TV yesterday talking about her new book (not a Jackson Brodie novel - Kate writes other stuff too). She mentioned Case Histories would be on TV this year, but with no dates.

Kate said only one of the Jackson stories in CH2 is based on a book of hers, the rest has been written specially for the programme, as she hasn't written any more of them. Sadly, she said she's on a bit of a break from Jackson - she said that when she writes she sees it all in her mind, but putting it on film has changed her vision, and that has upset her writing of Jackson.

But Kate did says that Jason is very handsome! Obviously a woman of good taste.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Oh, that's too bad that she's not planning on writing any more Jackson Brodie mysteries. I love both the books and the tv version. I wonder if she meant that now she sees him in Edinburgh, without so much emotional baggage, and only with Louise? In the books, he had the extra romantic issues that they chose not to explore in the tv version. His personality, however, seemed to remain the same, which I would think would be the most important bit. Ah well...

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:56 am

From this I think it's more like Jason Isaacs made a so strong performance with his interpretation, so it's hard for her to find back to "her own" JB after seeing him do it.
Atkinson is having trouble picturing Brodie since the screening of the BBC television adaptation featuring actor Jason Isaacs, who also played Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films. Somehow Isaacs, the small-screen doppelganger, has supplanted the hero of her imagination, and she can't go on.
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/boo ... z2NgfSJXyc

I'm hoping for a BBC Case Histories/Easter Special BTW :pig

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 am

Or, or, or, . . . writing a book is very different from writing scripts for television. So, instead of seeing, in her mind's eye, the entire story (book), told at her speed in her tone, she has to write (TV scripts) a specific way, keeping in mind the flow of action (requisite highs and lows to keep audience attention) and exposition required for two or three 1-hour episodes. I would rather think that that is the issue and not that Jason has changed her image of Jackson.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:48 pm

She doesn't write the scripts...

servalan

Post by servalan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:50 pm

Helen8 wrote:Or, or, or, . . . writing a book is very different from writing scripts for television. So, instead of seeing, in her mind's eye, the entire story (book), told at her speed in her tone, she has to write (TV scripts) a specific way, keeping in mind the flow of action (requisite highs and lows to keep audience attention) and exposition required for two or three 1-hour episodes. I would rather think that that is the issue and not that Jason has changed her image of Jackson.
But Kate doesn't write the screenplays, so I don't really think that is the problem, although the many differences between TV and the books might have some effect - she might avoid saying so, but not like some of the changes they made. Deciding to set it all in Edinburgh would limit Kate if she felt she had to set the next book there - only two of her existing CH stories are set in Edinburgh.

Jason is a factor. I listened to what Kate said, and she specifically pointed out that she had never described Jackson in detail, so people could imagine him in many ways. I suppose Kate had her own picture of him as she wrote, even if she did not share it. She specifically said Jason is very handsome, and she said that seeing her stories on TV has affected the way she feels about Jackson.

She did not say she would never write another, just that Jackson is on a long holiday somewhere!

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:13 pm

That's how I understood it too.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:11 am

She doesn't write the scripts...

Okay. It wasn't such a great theory. But I tried. :bag:

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:43 am

This site has started to add info about season 2. Only cast members so far...
http://www.screenrush.co.uk/television/ ... son-21380/

It's a start...

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Look! They FINALLY updated the IMDB site for Case Histories (I didn't know where to put this info, so I chose this thread, I hope it is okay):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2797940/

For you UK folks, it seems like it might be coming to your tvs soon as the site says April 13 for this episode -cross fingers it happens! :^)

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Well, let's hope so. :D

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:42 pm

I hope so, too! I *think* last time the UK had it in the spring (???) and we got it by October 2011 on PBS.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun May 05, 2013 1:39 pm

According to a lot of tweets, BBC has started to show a teaser or trailer for Case Histories. Hope it gets online soon. :D

ln419

Post by ln419 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:19 pm

haha on HIM, unless they send him one special, even Jason has to wait with us poor shmoes... :-( LN

NCGirl

Post by NCGirl » Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 am

I watched an episode of CH Season 1 yesterday (dvd). Looking forward to Season 2. I hope our PBS station picks it up for one of their Mystery series. Keeping fingers crossed and would love it if it is shown on BBC America. Still in holding pattern to hear from Amazon regarding release date.

Thanks for photos of season 2.

~cadie

Return to “Case Histories”