Awake DVR numbers

This is a TV series about a police officer after a fatal car crash killed either his son or his wife. He lives in two realities. One where his son survived the accident, and one where his wife survived. He doesn't know which is the real one, and he doesn't want to know. It aired on NBC, and was cancelled after one season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

LadySekhmet

Awake DVR numbers

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi,

I didn't know where to put this -we don't have a separate feed for "angry, bitter, disappointed fans rage on"- so I started this thread instead.

So this just showed up on my twitter feed. Nichole Burke tweeted that:
"#Awake check out the DVR numbers..Should have had a 2nd season. The most DVR's shows of 2011-12"

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.zap2it.com/news/pictures/zap ... otogallery

And the actual page for Awake:
http://www.zap2it.com/news/pictures/zap ... y?index=19

It is interesting, but not surprising to me and probably not to you ladies either- why don't the networks understand this??? 1. We actually do have lives outside of our homes, and 2. for those nights when we are taking a break, if there are shows we like on at the same time, people record them. It's not rocket science.

BethMI

Re: Awake DVR numbers

Post by BethMI » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:47 pm

What I think NBC should wake up on is the fact that not all of us have Nielsen boxes. So DVR'ing it is another way that we can show HEY ... we watch the show. So even if people watched it live, they would still DVR it to make sure that their number at least counted. Same with iTunes, On Demand, and other purchases. The networks should be paying attention to those numbers and not just the very limited number of Nielsen households.

The numbers should have seriously told them that they had a fan base. I know they say oh you don't get commercials with DVR, etc etc ... BUT ... like I said not all of us have Nielsen boxes. So the DVR's, itunes purchases, On Demand watches, etc are our only recourse to get "counted" at all. It should matter to them!

~BethMI

LadySekhmet wrote:Hi,

I didn't know where to put this -we don't have a separate feed for "angry, bitter, disappointed fans rage on"- so I started this thread instead.

So this just showed up on my twitter feed. Nichole Burke tweeted that:
"#Awake check out the DVR numbers..Should have had a 2nd season. The most DVR's shows of 2011-12"

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.zap2it.com/news/pictures/zap ... otogallery

And the actual page for Awake:
http://www.zap2it.com/news/pictures/zap ... y?index=19

It is interesting, but not surprising to me and probably not to you ladies either- why don't the networks understand this??? 1. We actually do have lives outside of our homes, and 2. for those nights when we are taking a break, if there are shows we like on at the same time, people record them. It's not rocket science.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm

And if Jason can't say it outloud, I can -what the heck- I ain't never gonna be working for those freaks. *does a Philly gal head move with some finger snaps* :
We've already determined that NBC is run by (insert very bad word here) morons, and things like this just keep re-emphasizing it.

The fact that they are unwilling to learn (or admit - which is worse? A lack of a learning curve or an incredibly hard head?) that the Nielson rating system is deader than a doornail then it is going to sink them eventually. There are too many options for the viewers now. They're too concerned about the hard $$ bottomline (as all suits are), and we, the viewers, are not and are willing to take our viewing pleasure elsewhere.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:46 am

NBC is a public network. They derive their money (which pays for shows) by selling advertising. Those who purchase advertising are not interested in the fact that you DVR a show or purchase a show on iTunes and then do not watch their advertising.

Do I think NBC should have tried differnt time slots? Yes of course.
Do I think NBC should have given the show more time to find an audience? Yes of course.
Do I applaud NBC for trying a "different" kind of show? Yes absolutely!
Do I appreciate NBC giving a whole season to Awake and not canceling it before the season was complete. Again YES!!
Do I think NBC should be boycotted? No - that is really silly. Watch whatever shows look good on any network.

Of course NBC knows that not every household has a Neilson Box - they derive viewer numbers using STATISTICS.

Awake was a great show and I really hope Jason gets a nom for his brilliant performance. But my efforts will be directed to searching for info on Jason's future projects (and it sounds like he has many!)

From the very begining my fear with this show was that the "average" American did not have the brains, willpower, or inclination to watch a show which actually required one to pay attention - and contained thought provoking and interesting script writing. Face it - if the show is not sports, reality TV, or about crime drama, teenagers, warewolves or vampires - the average American is not going to watch it.

Furthermore (since I'm in one of those moods!) most people on this board watched it because Jason was in it. Yes there are a few people who would have watched because it sounded interesting but most of the people here would probably have skipped Brotherhood and/or Awake had it not been for Jason (be truthful now) so I would not be that hard on NBC.

OK I'm backing away from my soap box. Feel free to climb on.....

:soap

inamac

Post by inamac » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:53 pm

That's pretty much what I was going to say, Marie. Good for NBC for trying something different, at great risk for their advertising.

They also got the best deal they could in selling the show abroad - I may complain that no one will see it on Sky in the UK, but Sky is also in the business of selling advertising slots - and they obviously thought that it would bring in the viewers if they outbid the terrestrial TV companies.

I'm still hoping for a DVD though.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:16 pm

NBC continues to show new episodes of The Firm even though cancelation was obvious a couple months into its run. I suppose the reasoning is "we paid for all of them, we'd better well show all of them."

But I still hold NBC responsible for lackluster advertising of Awake. And I'll continue to harp on their not having him on The Tonight Show before the premiere. :mad:

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:13 pm

And I also wondered about him not being on the Ellen Show and when they did have him on the Today Show it was outside for a brief interview!

ln419

Post by ln419 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:39 pm

HA! MY soapbox...I asked a long time ago whether Leno's people called Jason's agent or visa versa, because I had an inkling that Leno was really ticked off at the whole "Hello to Jason Isaacs" thing behind his back when he is SUCH a VIP at NBC (probably more of a VIP than Bob Greenblatt!). I know I wrote on Ellen's site where it says "Who would you like to see on our show?" I wrote 'JI, he played LM in HP and is starring in a new NBC series called Awake...you guys should check it out, he's really funny and smart'. Ya know one/all of us should become his promoters, we'd do a GREAT job. I'm unemployed after the summer, unless someone needs an RN in the Chicago area (geriatrics my speciality, but I'm educable and can be a great whatever). NBC did a terrible job promoting it after the first 2 weeks, aside from Carson Daly, which was what, at 1 am or something? It was REALLY weird that NO ONE touched Jason or ANY of the cast, not Letterman, Craig Fergusen (who IS a professional Scott, almost like Jason). In the UK, they clamor for him, here they just about shunned him, and I don't understand what the deal was. He says he doesn't like unwashed fans, so I assume HE washes, I bet he brushes, his his teeth every now and then, adheres to basic hygeine. He is articulate, and witty, and really smart, but NO ONE had him on their show. Synapses weren't firing, and I can't figure out who's didn't fire, and who's didn't receive, but it was a HUGE problem right from day 1.
That all being said, yes, the time slot was horrible for a time to "think". My husband thinks hard and fast 17 hours a day, plays spider solitare for fun (yuck), and it's what he sort of does for a living, has to think 12 steps ahead of everything, but by (9 pm chgo time), he could NEVER understand what was going on, and only watched it for me (which is very sweet, and worked for me, because we had to rewatch it ONDEMAND on Saturday nights), and my 20 year old, just could NOT get into it for love or $ (which I never offered), but it was interesting that as smart as she is,(she's studying neuro-psychiology, HOW could this NOT be interesting to her???) she couldn't let some things just "go" (like what difference did it make if it was Monday twice for Michael, or Tuesday, she got very hung up on that issue, and I think many people did in the beginning and couldn't get passed it). My 15 yo son breezed through it and loved it, I think it's how your brain is wired, and for US, I guess it's to WHOM it's wired ;-) .
I hope someone will pick the 13 episodes up as reruns, maybe it'll get turned into a movie one day, stranger things have happened in that industry. If it truly turns into a "cult classic" (for which it has the signs and symptoms, if you'll excuse a nursing phrase), only the passage of time will tell I guess. OK :soap is free...next...LN

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Well, my "they" went beyond just NBC. They equals all of the main networks really. I'm well aware of how the corporate suits think (as I graduated from the university that houses The Mother Ship of Suitness - i.e., Wharton) and I'm on the edge of museum/academic life, which is wildly incompatible with the Whartonite Suits ideology (but that's a different soap box and not fit for this fanboard).

NBC -right now- I'm sure gets the brunt of my annoyance (when really it could be any of them) because they have most recently proven that the Suits will always win. Advertising is God, and it is easier to sooth the average tv watcher with cheaply made shows, which act like an opiate, like reality shows, rather than well-written, carefully crafted shows that are more expensive to make and maintain and which have smaller followings- because most of us are tired at night after dealing with each other all day. Does NBC care if I stop watching them? No-in the grand words of Odysseus to the Cyclops- my name is nobody. Was I watching them before? No. Will I watch them again soon? No- they have nothing that interests me. Will I continue to search for good evening entertainment? Yes. Will our options contine to grow? Yes. Will DVRs become even more important to us? Yes. Will they ever realize it & figure out how to use it to their advantage? No, because they exist in denial (it ain't just a river in Egypt).

Did Jason's fans watch Awake purely for him? Hells, yeah! Fans of Jason watched the show for him - that's why we're fans. I'm not ashamed of it. Plus, he's an excellent actor. He tends not to phone it in- which is important for him and his fans. Yeah, he's a handsome man, but more importantly he's also talented, intelligent & dedicated, which means that he can get good and interesting gigs- which is excellent for us- so we are rarely disappointed with his performances (now...some of the scripts...*coughs* Soldier). The show had its weak moments (I'll not lie), but it was really getting strong at the end. For me, if I watch a show it is one of three things. 1. I like the actor/actors and so will follow them to a new show (and hopefully, it will be just as enjoyable as the other one)- which is not any different than having favorite authors that you follow. 2. I am curious & that was how I started watching Smash - for two episodes before I drifted away & NCIS. 3.The advertising and the premise has to be so fantastic that it will lure me in- but that's hit or miss - if I'm not watching the networks, then I don't know what's coming on for new shows, so what would draw me back? The advertising thing has rarely happened for me & generally tends to be for PBS or shows on non-networks.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:08 am

Awake was a great show. And it will be remembered as a great show. We don't know how great a second season would have been. With Brotherhood, the first season was the best, and then it went slightly downhill. As most TV series do.

I don't see it very constructive to keep blaming NBC for things that weren't done. They obviously could have done more for this show, but they didn't. That's their choice (or incompetence). They won't reconsider now anyway, so why should we waste any more energy on it?
The horse is dead, stop beating it.

Let's move on and look forward to A Single Shot, Dawn, Sweetwater, Case Histories, season 2, Kendra (Wigs) +++ :yip

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:47 am

Ho hum.

I'm currently watching it on Sky in the UK. We're up to episode 6 or 7, I think.

I could say a lot more but ... oh look at the time - I have to get my daughter from art club.

Return to “Awake”