Article about shows canceled in first season . . .

This is a TV series about a police officer after a fatal car crash killed either his son or his wife. He lives in two realities. One where his son survived the accident, and one where his wife survived. He doesn't know which is the real one, and he doesn't want to know. It aired on NBC, and was cancelled after one season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Article about shows canceled in first season . . .

Post by Helen8 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:47 pm

. . . which includes Awake.

"It was a mind-bending show, which may have been difficult for people to process when they just wanted to unwind after work, but it was smart, compelling, and well-acted. "

https://www.tvguide.com/news/best-of-de ... 04-10aaa2i

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Re: Article about shows canceled in first season . . .

Post by Marie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:42 pm

I think it would have done well on cable. It was not right for network TV (let me rephrase that - the right audience was not available on the big networks!).

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:37 am

Marie, you make a good point. It might have been too confusing for some people. :scratch

servalan

Post by servalan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:24 pm

They should have sold it to the UK. We have had all sorts of dramas here on mainstream TV that make you think. There is a current Irish crime drama that has multiple strands.

I remember UK viewers kept Cagney & Lacey going because we loved it so much, after the US makers threatened to cancel it (not that C&L was complicated, but there was a definite market for it here).

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:07 am

You make very good points, Servalan. I thought Awake was really interesting, especially in the end. Don't know why anyone would find it confusing... but maybe I'm more used to European TV, which isn't based on filling the space between the commercials.

Why would anyone watch anything if they are not going to pay attention ayway? :roll:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:01 pm

Why would anyone watch anything if they are not going to pay attention anyway? :roll:
Why would anyone vote for idiot politicians who sprout bigotry, hate, empty promises, and lies? I have a feeling they might be comprised of the same people as the ones who do not want to watch anything of substance on TV.

Return to “Awake”