Dawn (New movie)

Based on the novel by Elie Wiesel

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Dawn (New movie)

Post by thunder » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:32 pm

This just showed up on IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213575/

More info here (I think):
http://www.dschointventschr.ch/dv/pdf/Dawn_Flyer_E.pdf

Sounds interesting, but I haven't found any other reference to this movie having cast JI, so take it with a pinch of salt... :scratch

Angel Tavington

Re: Dawn (New movie ?!?!?!)

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Hm, we need a confirmation. It would be nice to see him in a new movie.

~me

ln419

Post by ln419 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:37 pm

VERY powerful book...could be a very interesting part for him to play and research. ln

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:15 pm

It says that it is "filming" on imdb, & since the Single Shot is also noted as "filming," I guess they must be doing something beyond just casting it? :???:

From reading the description, it reminds me of the beginning of the Crying Game with the relationship between the soldier and the IRA member (obviously *not* the transgender issues that are later in the movie).

ln419

Post by ln419 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:38 am

I can't imagine how many frequent flier miles this guy must have already for this year-amazing! That is, if he's doing all we believe he's doing... In BC for One Shot, to Europe for Dawn, he's said he won't be in London for the summer Olympics (in one of the hundreds of interviews he's done this past 3 months), and I think they're supposed to do more Case Histories this summer. Jason must put those everready batteries in the charger every night while he doesn't sleep...amazing. ln

KissInAboxx

Post by KissInAboxx » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:20 am

Fantastic! Now I've another book to read. After blowing through "A single shot" I'm ready for another.. I wonder if we can expect a villainous performance from Jason or is he gonna be one of the goodies.. I hope he's a baddie... he's so grand as a baddie..

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Don't even know if he will be in this yet, but I'm guessing British officer... so probably good guy. But I don't know. :?:

KissInAboxx

Post by KissInAboxx » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:27 pm

True.. he is a baddie in A single shot.. maybe he's mixing it up.. maybe he'll be the captured officer..

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Why do I have a bad feeling about the outcome for the British officer? :-(

ln419

Post by ln419 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:42 pm

The book actually comes in a trilogy: Night, Dawn, and Day ( you can get them seperatly). It's all holocaust based, and very moving. I'm pretty sure Jason would play the older English guy. It's kinda weird, here, growing up, we didn't really learn about the English being in Palestine and it being such a big deal, or that I remember it being such a big deal; but then again, history was never my thing, and I've always lived here, and in modern day Israel. But in going back and seeing specific movies, or now having Jewish friends from Engand, they have a MUCH different take on it (so I asssume Jason does too), so it's only recently that with an influx or UK people into our community, this story has widened for me. Really horrid how myopic my life has been, so better now to grow than never I guess. ln

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:02 am

ln419- oh yes, the British had their sticky little Empire fingers in all sorts of Middle Eastern pies in the early 1900s through WW I up to post-WW II.

*rolls up her Egyptian archaeologist/ancient historian sleeves*

The modern Middle East, as we know it, is almost a complete creation of the colonial powers from the Victorian/post-Ottoman Empire period. The British and the French had a large hand in creating many of the modern states that we currently know (Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Syria, etc.). Lawrence of Arabia (or T.E. Lawrence) wasn't simply a freedom fighter, but he was a British agent (as well as an archaeologist). Gertrude Bell was an immensely influential British woman (and, basically, a British agent) who had fairly HUGE dealings with certain kingdoms (such as Iraq - she was a confidente of King Faisal of Iraq in a time when women didn't have that much influence - let alone in a Islamic area!) in the early 20th century (she died in 1926). Archaeologists, like Leonard Wooley, also surveyed and mapped large swaths of the Middle East (desert & habitation areas) not only in the name of archaeology, but their maps were also used by their governments for wartime (a la the English Patient). The French and the English were also strong influences in North Africa, especially Egypt. And in WWII some of the large battles between Germany and the Allies were fought in North Africa & Egypt (such as at El Alamein). Germany and Italy also meddled in the Middle East/Africa in the period around WW I and WW II. Part of the issues that we, as a global community, have now stem from this time period (post-Ottoman/ World War I period), because some of the lands that were created have artificial boundaries that did not naturally exist pre-Ottoman Empire (discovery of OIL helped a bit!!), which has resulted in tensions within the countries with their populaces. The ancient civilisations that lived in this area and their political boundaries didn't always naturally mesh with the modern political boundaries (except for countries like Egypt & Turkey (and sort of Lebanon & Jordan), which had more natural boundaries, which is why they are normally -except for the influences of Arab spring and Mubarak- fairly stable). I am *NOT* addressing any issues re: modern religion, I am speaking re: purely politcal boundary terms only, although some conflicts between Islamic sects have also created issues, which we have seen in situations like the Kurds in Iraq and Sunnis versus Shi'ites. And yes, the British were very involved in the Syro-Palestinian area in the WW I & WW II eras.

ln419- if you're interested in learning about Gertrude Bell and some of the British influence in the ME as a whole, here is a good article.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... iraq/5893/

ln419

Post by ln419 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:59 am

WOW! That was AMAZING! Thank you so much for your history lesson, like I said, we got VERY little in school (and it is a public school to boot!), it's pretty embarrassing, and when I try to ask friends they nod with their eyes glossed over
'um hum"... terrible. I'm taking you up on your offer to read the article (tomorrow, it's almost 1 am, and I got a job this summer as a camp RN YEAH!!!, and have to be at camp by 9 am, and it's an hour away-kids don't know what their getting hehehe, nah, it'll be great!). The movie I was referring to was The Promise by Peter Kominetsky (?) from Amazon.com.UK. It goes back and forth from the British occupation to modern day Israel. Being orthodox, the first 5 times it rubbed me SO the wrong way (mind you it' a 3 hour movie), and I can't discuss it with anyone but the mice inside my own head; I know a lot of clones of me (well not really, they just don't know the "real, REAL me", just the outside me that they see). By the LAST time I saw it, I had read Dawn, and memories of teen years came rushing in, and it was ok, I could see the movie for the historical factual document it was (with leniencies) and appreciated it SO much more, but it took a LONG time for me; I'm so glad I got there finally, and on my own. Thanks so much caring, your wealth of information and for your help. ln

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:43 pm

You're welcome. :cherub I wouldn't feel too bad about your education. I don't think that British colonialism is something that they teach us very much of in US high school history classes. I only know it because of my (endless) post-graduate education in ancient history and archaeology (yes, I know it's modern history, but in order to know the ancient, you wind up learning the modern, too) and working in the Middle East.

KissInAboxx

Post by KissInAboxx » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:23 pm

I don't know about anyone else.. but my IMDb is showing Jason Isaacs as the only credited person in this movie.. is it a one man show? he he he.. I'm still in for going to see it..

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:01 am

It had other people too, but they removed them. I think this movie is still up in the blue...

Return to “Dawn”