Hot-cha-cha! AKA Episode 8.

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Minuet

Hot-cha-cha! AKA Episode 8.

Post by Minuet » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:14 am

Only three more to go, and less and less of a chance of a second season. I could just weep, because this was another terrific episode.

Rose. Is a harpy, straight out of hell. A wild Irish rose of a harpy, but a harpy, nonetheless. Give it a rest, you controlling harridan. As for the Rose's sons, two words. Caller.
Identification.

Eileen. Is a mess. Buy how sweet was it that Pete immediately knew something was wrong, and then, when it was confirmed, offered help. I'm beginning to think that Mary Kate and Pete, despite his predilection for violent behavior (primarily at Michael's behest), are the only really good-hearted people in this show.

Michael. Is sexier than any man has any right to be. Rowrrr. Although I'm not too keen on the fact that he's running around with another man's wife, even if said man is a bum. And I'm not too impressed with a woman who sends her kids off, so she can pursue an affair with a gangster. That said, there's obviously a lot of sexual attraction and not a little affection between Cath and Michael that makes you wish things would work out for them.

Loved this:
"He's a gangster."
"She's on medication."

Surly College Girl. Is apparently just a girlish, sex-addled memory. Don't let the hotel door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Tommy. Is a piece of work. I just looked up Machiavellian in the dictionary, and Tom Caffee's picture was there. Man, that's some cold, hard-ass manipulation, right there. And ballsy, too, since he's going up against Judd, although I suspect that Judd is going to metaphorically spank Tommy and stick his nose in a corner, before all is said and done.

The Russians. First, the Armenians. Then the Russians. Looks like someone is working their way through the former Soviet Block. :mrgreen:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 am

You said a mouthful, honey!

I kind of assumed that Rose was freaking out in part out of fear that Michael was going to leave and just disappear again. The spectre of a seven-year absence has gotta have an impact.
She is wildly absurdly controlling, and the recent loss of her job--and concommitant union position, which must have provided some self-esteem--conspire to make her even twitchier.
As for Tommy and Michael not ever ignoring their mother, I don't know that she's ever given them the chance to practice--she comes barging into Tommy's house whenever she likes and airily dispenses orders. I'll bet that she's got a whole STACK of holy martyr cards to play, too--'no, that's all right, I did fine without your drunken sot of a father, I don't need anything from my half-orphaned sons, you go on and live your lives, it's all I've ever wanted for you' etc. etc. ad nauseum.
What she'd fly into if she didn't get a reply is probably way worse than having your orgasm interrupted--she's likely to turn up on your doorstep all hysterical: "I thought you was bein' murdered! It had to be somethin' awful to make your turn your back on your own MA!!" :loco

Pete. Okay, let's don't forget that he was the one shoving a revolver into the hand of a mentally challenged man whom he'd known since childhood!! What was with his whininess about being denied a ride to the Shore?? I guess being restored, being given this gig with Michael, is mighty damned important for him!
As for Mary Kate, okay, so far we haven't seen her beat anybody up, but she sure didn't gather Eileen into her arms and offer her any comfort, did she?? I get that she just plain couldn't hear details of Eileen's transgressions, but there are gentler ways to deflect that. Dang.

Michael.....still needs to move on and put up a new calendar. So far he's seeing somebody the biological age his home reflects HE is, and somebody he was actually seeing at the time. Dude, you're "in your 30s" (wink wink)--find a woman who is too! But not married! Or psychotic!
Wait, what am I saying, this guy mutilates people as a JOB. Never mind.
I loved his crack to Pete too, but I honestly thought he was disappointed with Kath--he seemed torn between wanting to pick up right where they left off and wanting a more mature companion capable of giving more than they used to have.
His response to her lurid excess in the car seemed almost alarmed--he was not overcome with screaming lust, he was a guy trying to get to an appointment! He could have pulled over, but instead he showed a kind of distaste that she couldn't modify her behaviour to accommodate their circumstances. She was expecting the response of a sex-crazed 17-year-old, and he didn't deliver. (Was I the only one who had problems with her pronunciation of "horny"? Man, the first two times she said it, I couldn't make out what the hell she said!! And if that was I-95 from Rhode Island to Jersey, I'll eat Mike Caffee's....hat :uhoh) I thought the dialogue in those scenes was the most clumsily-written we've heard.

He shouldn't have misled her about the purpose of the trip--she thought she was going to be Mike's whole focus, that it was gonna be a weekend all about them, and instead she was almost peripheral. The way he grabbed her by the hair and yanked her off when he was on the phone (AGAIN!!!) with his mother was most cold. I'd have to have started packing right then.
Loved this: "He's a gangster." "She's on medication."
And she shoplifts??? What a tacky skank!
I loved the face he made when he told the clerk that--it was so very Jason Isaacs. Cracked me up.

Surly College Girl: Is deeply disturbed, and will not be content with a couple of hotel matchbooks and a pair of earrings. Keep an eye on the rear-view mirror for that one too, Michael.

Tommy. Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy. Boyo, you done pissed some people off. I love that Judd literally works and interacts with Tommy in the deep dark basement. I dunno, I can see Tommy thinking that he has been trying to play the game, trying to work with Judd, but he just hasn't got the time. His neighbourhood, a stand-in for a whole sector of America, just can't wait.

Malfoy Grandma

No next season? We'll see!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:05 pm

I think this show just gets better, and they have finally finished giving us background and catch-up for those missing 7 years. It surprised me to hear michael say he needed adult company, when it looks like he surely misjudged Kat! Not very adult at all, though she straightened herself up when she saw the blood on his nice leather jacket! If they do not renew this series, I shall just play my copies till they fall apart!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:56 pm

I thought this was a damned good episode. I was a little confused by Michael's remark about wanting to be with an adult though. Was he talking about Kath, or Shannon's desire to be with somebody other than college aged guys ? Either way I found some eerie similarities between the two. Kath seemed to me just to be an older version of SCG, with not a whole lot of redeeming qualities in between -- the whorish behaviour, the shoplifting, and her slightly off-kilter mentality. Would you want to attend a birthday party after learning your date just murdered some guys?

No, I thought not.

Which means despite her protestations, she's just as attracted to Michael's dangerous side as Shannon, and therefore just as unbalanced.

Michael seems to be showing some cracks as far as Rose as is concerned -- and thank the good lord for that. Though it remains to be seen whether her incessant smothering means he'll cut the cord. Freddie's shown some remarkable restraint in that department, and why he hasn't been throwing that in his face every two seconds is downright puzzling.

Tommy ... wow, he really threw me tonight. He looked downright predatory going after Bob. I felt more than a little sorry for the guy, and not just a tiny bit confused. He's obviously not the real threat, only some poor schmoe with the dumb luck of having to deliver the news about the community centre's reallocation of funds. Why not bide your time and go after the Speaker, instead of some ineffectual and harmless sycophant? Judd's anger was justifiable in my opinion, and I think Tommy's seriously going to regret his actions.

Oh, and how awesome was that scene between Eileen and Rose? I could tell you where that cake would've ended up, and it wouldn't have been the wall.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:01 pm

Something that bothered me a lot, Michael didn't even wear gloves when he opened the sliding door to murder those Russians. If he was a criminal who had been in jail for 7 years, his prints will be identified so fast!

I love many quotes from this episode:

Are you channeling my mother?

Everything sucks. :shock:
:D

bonnie Kate

Post by bonnie Kate » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:25 am

Great episode. Great.

Thoughts in brief:

Kath is a real girl from the hood and the olden days. Michael doesn't seem to be able to move on. Yet. College chick will come around for a reckoning.

I think there may have been a continuity problem with the gloves. Michael is wearing surgical gloves when he picks up the money he dropped after the murders.

It's great to finally get an idea where and what's been going on in Michael's life for the past seven years. i do hope they start spilling abit more...this teensy-tiny piece at a time is maddening.

Freddie Cork is very scary. I think he would have been just as happy if Michael succumbed to the "Russian flu" rather than get the money and the problem of their presence gone. He may have even preferred a dead Michael.

Tommy is now a full-blown naughty politico. I like the way Judd and the black rep (name escapes me) warned him that he's no angel. I have the understanding that Tommy believes he's doing all of this rumor-mongering, etc. for the protection of the Hill. Perhaps he was in the beginning but now he's lying to himself. Selling your soul to the devil is no way to save anything.

The cake scene was fabulous. Did anyone else think that was the ugliest and most unappealing cake that ever was. Who buys a pink cake for a guy even if they do have a fondness for strawberries. Was that one of Eileen's subtle rebellions?

I agree that Rose is holding on wayyy too close to Michael due to the spectre of his seven-year absence. She need to join an elder hostel and go on a nice long trip back to Ireland.

And on the Rose vein - WHY is Michael still living with her? Something must have been truly terrible in those seven years that he needs to be back in the proverbial womb, in the bosom of his family, etc.

Once again, great episode. It's a shame Blake Masters didn't rachet up the intensity a wee bit sooner. Perhaps ratings would have been better.
Just a thought.

Cheers,
bonnie Kate

I think Pete wanted to go with Michael on the trip because he sensed genuine danger. Right on, he was. Note the way he tried to shake Michael's hand as they parted. Just shy of a hug and a "I love you, man. Watch your back, etc."

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:40 pm

I've grown to rreally like Pete's character.

Blake Maters said MC wore surgical gloves. I thought I saw them when he dropped the money too but not when he was back in the car?

sheerin

Post by sheerin » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:05 am

Hi Ladies,

I was very deep impressed about Rose. Michael is a man not a little boy who need her advices. She always wants to have everybody under controll. Ok, Michael was away for 7 years, but he is an adult man. I can't believe his reactions about Rose's calls. Did all things she wants to him to to????

Tommy, he is the real gangster in the family. He has the character as his mother. He likes to manilpulate people. And with the Jugde in the background he will get the power. He is realy scaring me in this ep.

Eileen is in the meanwhile the tragic one. She has no one to talk to. No one who helps her out. But now there is Pete. He saw whats going on and maybe he could help her ... Will they be the new lovers of this series???

Cath. Omg. What did she wants?? She is so ugly. I don't like her and how she is treating Michael. She is dangerous, because she knews to many things about him. Especially the murderer of the Russians. She would get him in trouble, if she has an advantage of it. Michael should kick her out of his life.

I can't wait to watch the next ep.

Greetings
Sheerin

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:10 am

I thought at one point that I noticed gloves because I wondered why would you have bare hands!!

I have also grown very fond of Pete, he truly loves Michael for so many reasons, more brotherly than Tommy and he is always concerned for his safety. Yes I loved when they said good-bye, thought he wanted a hug instead of a handshake. (That's what I would have wanted, but that's getting off track!!LOL

As well, I have mixed emotions about Kath, at first I really liked her and thought Michael needed her but the way she acted in the car bothered me and I was so glad that Michael wasn't exactly pleased either and Hil I had no idea what she was saying at first..."Horny"...I had a problem with that.

I feel that Rose was so afraid that he wasn't coming back again...ergo all the phone calls, she just didn't want to not lose him again...those long years away and why and where are what, I believe, making her so obsessed. If she trusted that he would not leave again I think she would drop the reins!!

I so agree that each episode is getting better and better and that more and Bonnie Kate you are so right that McMasters should have pumped all of these up a bit more!!

Great dialogue Char...I do love that line as well
..."Are you channeling my mother!!"

Bring on the next episode...but we have to wait!!!! :roll:

Hugs,
Kate

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:00 pm

I'm actually kinda glad there's no new ep this weekend, because I'm going to Dragon*con, and I doubt I'll have time to watch. :mrgreen:

As for the bare hands, I was much more struck by the fact that those idiot Russians didn't lock the patio door. No wonder they ended up in a pool of blood on the living room floor. They're too stupid to be criminals. :???:

I'm not sure about Cath, either. Of course, I didn't like Surly College Girl, at all. Frankly, I think Michael should take a walk on the wild side and start dating Pete. ;-)

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:15 pm

Who's the girl who plays Kath? There's something familiar about her but I can't find any info on the imdb.
It's seriously bugging me.

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:01 am

I watched the ep again, and Michael does have on surgical gloves when he opens the sliding glass door. :shock:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:23 am

Gillian - I agree I've seen her before also but can't put my finger on where I've seen her.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:08 pm

Just re-watched the last 10 minutes, and this time I caught her name: Tina Benko. Here's her listing on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0071416/

She's done Law & Orders, original, SVU, and CI, and also an episode of "Chappelle's Show" (!). No photo there--but a couple here: http://www.mccarter.org/sitegenerator.c ... xevent=150.
Hm. She's been an understudy/standby for a number of shows on Broadway...and seems to have been in a Noel Coward revival starring Alan Cumming.
Nope, she's new to me.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:23 am

Thanks Hil. I haven't watched any of the shows that she's been in so I'm afraid it wasn't much help. She still looks familiar though--her facial expressions especially. Maybe I'm just confusing her with someone else.

Return to “Brotherhood”