Star Trek Discovery discussion (Spoilers)

Jason plays Captain Lorca in this new Star Trek series, premiering on September 24. 2017.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Star Trek Discovery discussion (Spoilers)

Post by Helen8 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 am

BLACK leather and gold. :adore

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm watching it now on the free 7 days. haha!

Wow. Can I just say? Jason's eyes are AMAZING.

He's so awesome at playing a character with a questionable morality.

I've never been a huge ST fan (Star Wars girls!), although my father and several friends have made me watch it, so i have a basic knowledge. I think it's pretty good-but that's the opinion of a non-fan, but if Jason isn't in S2 then I'm probably going to wait until it comes on some other platform where I do bot have to pay extra.

Oh, and in ep 5, Saru asks for a list of the best decorated captains, and -in a foreshadowing moment-Computer lists Pike. So, a nice set-up for S2.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:26 am

I am on the fence, about season 2 as well. If they bring back Lorca, I’ll watch it. So bring him back... :soap

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Ditto!!! :hands

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Also, I think that they did something weird with the continuity between the episodes in order to "kill" off Prime Lorca. There is something off with the explanations surrounding Prime Lorca and Terran Lorca. And I don't really think that Prime Lorca is dead enough to not come back (of course, he'll come back if it's convenient for the writers. hahah!)

Sadly, I've already cancelled my freebie (I probably should have watched it twice), so I can't refer to the the Admiral's exact line in the episode, but it was after they get back to Discovery with the Emperor and the Admiral announces that Prime Lorca was killed when the Terran Discovery (presumably with Prime Lorca as captain) popped into the Starfleet Universe. This makes the assumption that the two Discoveries made a clean exchange rather than the Discovery just off doing nefarious deeds in the Terran Universe- but even this assumption is not clean. It would have made more sense that it was the Burran, and that Terran Lorca disposed of his entire Starfleet crew by blowing up the Burran (yet using the cover of the Klingons and needing to protect his crew as the reason why he blew the Burran up). Did he also dispose of Prime Lorca in the explosion?

The Admiral also made some comment that the Terran Discovery switched places with the Starfleet Discovery and that it had been destroyed with all hands, including Prime Lorca. BUT we never really found out how Terran Lorca got onto the Starfleet ship in the first place. He would have had to have been rescued from some place, presumably the Starfleet Burran (?) - I know they sort of mentioned it, but also sort of glossed over that- and then put onto the Discovery. But when was he put onto the Discovery? He clearly was on the Starfleet Discovery for a long enough time that in some ways he was a fixture and very comfortable with the crew. It also suggests that he had been in the Starfleet universe for long enough to fool people who knew him, and they accepted his injury at face value (and why not- medical it probably checked out and we did learn that the medical machines are not infallible as they missed the Klingon transplant!). And he had been encouraging the spore drive, which means that he had to have been on the ship for a long enough time to support that work. AND they noted that Michael had been on trial and in prison for quite a long time (at least a year or two), but then they changed the time line to a number of months, which was confusing.

The Emperor stated that she had all of Lorca's crew executed, and one of her officers also noted that one of the flight decks had been cleared in order to have all of the agonizers that were required for Lorca's crew and the people involved in the coup in one space. But *then* Lorca finds all of his crew on the Emperor's ship and manages to stage the part 2 of the coup with his supporters. This either means that the Emperor didn't do a very good job of cleaning house, or they had not actually executed the entire crew.

And they also said that Lorca had been missing (presumed dead) - which would also suggest that whatever ship he was the captain of was either destroyed/damaged or had a new Captain at the helm. And the Terran Discovery had Tilly as Captain, so the Terran Discovery could not have been helmed by Prime Lorca -unless the Terran Tilley was disposed of by Prime Lorca.

I only watched the series once, so I could have misheard some of these things (probably!), but I do think that they are doing some wonky things with continuity. They also did some weird things regard the time line between the Discovery and the Enterprise, which has been noted by lots of ST fans, including my friends who seem to breathe this universe. haha! So the potential for mistakes in the continuity is there, which is weird because you would think that one of the writers would be charged with keeping track of the continuity issues and making sure there are none.

But, basically, there is nothing in the way S1 ended that would prevent Prime Lorca from reappearing at some point- if the writers wanted him to come back and if Himself were willing.

Those are just some of my thoughts. And Inwas finally able to watch the rest of American Gods, which I had started watching with friends who have the Starz channel, during the Comcast (all hail Comcast, evil emperor of all cable companies and one of Philly's overlords) watchathon I was finally able to finish the series. And I suddenly realized why I liked STD - it's because Bryan Fuller is involved in American Gods as well, and I love American Gods!

Edit - I'll admit I was very lazy and did not read the previous 8 pages of discussion, so you guys probably already talked about all of this...

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:51 am

LS, I like to think that they didn't realize how big an impact Jason would make and that they scrambled to make explanations of Prime/Terran Lorcas adjustable to bring Prime Lorca back. Thus, why the hints/slips by the Exec. Prod. and one of the writers, respectively, on After Trek of: "Which character would you like to see back?" "Lucius Malfoy." and "Now that Jason's off the show . . . er . . . off After Trek . . . " Hmmmm? That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it. :tchuh:

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Yeah, they most definitely left the door open for him to be brought back, but I felt like they fumbled the ball a bit with the weird extraneous commentary by the Admiral. Time will tell!

Now if they would just stop hiding it behind a paywall!

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm with you, LadyS. If it wasn't on Netflix, I don't think I would have bothered signing up for another service just to watch it... :bag:

Return to “Star Trek: Discovery”