SPOILER ALERT: Lost Girls disussions of episodes . . .

Good Sam is a new series for CBS, about a young top surgeon who ends up as her dad's supervisor after he comes out of a coma. Jason Isaacs plays the arrogant dad and former top surgeon.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

Re: SPOILER ALERT: Lost Girls disussions of episodes . . .

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:22 am

Thank you for posting those clips. For those who are not into the show. If you could alter it how would you or is it just not something you are enjoying at all.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:37 am

He disagreed with me but gave his logic for why the character was played that way.

The only time he was a bit curt was when I managed to guess that Captain Georgo dies early. He said stop guessing and enjoy the ride!

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:01 am

Anniemouse wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:22 am
Thank you for posting those clips. For those who are not into the show. If you could alter it how would you or is it just not something you are enjoying at all.
I think it would have been better if they focused more on the patients of the day's story, and toned down the drama between the regular characters. I wouldn't have made everyone either related or in a relationship with each other, or having "casual" sex with each other. It would have been better if the show also would have focused more on their lives outside of the hospital. Because now, everything is happening at the hospital, and it make it seem like they haven't got much wo to do. Also, there are more ways to create drama other than making people sleep with each other, cheating on each other and back stabbing each other, so a bit more variation would have been nice. :D

I'm still watching it, and my rants are probably a bit over the top sometimes, but I won't campaign for it to get a second season. If they cancel this, I will move on quickly and not look back. :yip

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:31 pm

E R was spot on with the hospital / outside life balance. House was pretty good with the patient of the week side of things. Isn't it very expensive to film outside on location. I wonder if the show has a small budget and has to stay on set.

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:52 pm

Anniemouse wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:31 pm
E R was spot on with the hospital / outside life balance. House was pretty good with the patient of the week side of things. Isn't it very expensive to film outside on location. I wonder if the show has a small budget and has to stay on set.
That might be part of it; there’s certainly nothing spent on promoting the next upcoming episode (outside what CBS viewers see alongside the closing credits; I’m glad someone out there is sharing those via YouTube).

I know it used to be cheaper to film in Canada than in the US.

Well, time to turn on the carnage…at least there’s no serial rapist, like there was one season on St. Elsewhere….

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:45 am

“Carnage” might’ve been the right term….

We start with “the morning after”, on the couch in Vivian’s office. Vivian wakes up first, and immediately panics, springing up from an “embrace”… 😈 She tries to straighten up her outfit, imploring Griff to get up, and hitting him with his jacket. When she says she thinks she lost her mind, Griff responds, “I think I lost my pants.” (I loved Jason’s delivery of that line! He’s not completely shirtless—just not buttoned back up yet… :woot —and we see him struggling to put his pants back on.) In the meantime, Sam is arriving with coffee for herself and her parents. As Sam tries to enter Vivian’s office, her mother is trying to hide a bottle and two glasses.

The entire opening segment was whimsical…but you know there will be serious fallout…on several fronts.

First up, a call to Griff, from the Board of Directors: He’s not facing any actions, since he was off-duty at the time of The Accident. Vivian’s not as lucky: Since she was on-duty, her actions—of intercepting the paramedics’ report—violated her terms of employment; she’s removed as CMO.

Griff is ready to reclaim his office and position…even though the official vote hasn’t taken place yet. When he realizes that Isan Shah is not there, he’s told by Caleb that Isan’s taking a “personal day”. Sam knows he’s still mad at her, for lying about the proposed sale of the hospital, and calls to leave a voicemail. Griff grabs the phone, and leaves the message that Isan had better show up.

The fallout begins when Lex confronts Griff, and tells him what she saw…then breaks up with him. Asher soon confronts Vivian…and spots the bottle and glasses. Needless to say, he doesn’t buy anything she says.

Two patients are brought in: a vineyard worker whose initial symptoms are quickly discussed, with an EKG being ordered; however, when Sam admires the patient’s fingernail polish, the patient reveals she has dirty nails, and cracked nails. These symptoms alert Griff to another possibility, and he orders an MRI. What he sees is a rare type of tumor; the expression on his face suggests he’s encountered a condition he’s wanted to tackle his entire career…in fact, he’s imagined a technique (The Griffith Technique) for potentially dealing with it…safely. He orders the tumor information be sent to the SIM Lab, so he can try his method.

The other patient is a young boy brought to the ER with blunt chest trauma. His older brother gives two versions of what happened; we later learn their father is recently deceased.

~~~~~

Sam tries to get signatures, so that Vivian’s hearing (originally planned for several months out) can be expedited. She runs into Malcolm, and learns he’s just been given the seat on the Board that was previously his mother’s. Now, all she needs is help from the interim CMO…Dr. Rhonda Glass. (Say what you want about some of the other characters—“professionally” or “personally”—but Rhonda & Tina are at the bottom of my list!)

Down in the ER, doctors are struggling to help the young boy; however, it’s Lex who has the answer that leads to temporarily stabilizing his condition. Surgery appears imminent.

Sam is so stressed, she skips the piano, and tries to encourage Caleb to join her for a “dip”; however, he’s going to interview for a position in Boston.

Sam then lets Malcom take her bowling, of all things. He equates his past position as being one of the bowling pins, waiting for something to happen. Now that he’s on the Board, he’s the bowling ball, and (more) in control. When Sam repeats Malcom’s words of wisdom to Caleb, he basically breaks up with Sam.

~~~~~

Meanwhile, the husband of heart/tumor patient mentions that the press had asked for an interview. It turns out that Griff had reported the rare tumor to a medical journal, and a domino effect took place. Sam confronts Griff who’s trying his “technique”—unsuccessfully 18 times—with the Simulator, and tells him all of the things that have deteriorated in such a short time…because of him.

The patient in the ER needs a C/T Consultation, so Griff heads down that way. Things get ugly when Lex confronts Griff, and Dr. Costa confronts Dr. Kace. (Joey’s found out that’s who Tim cheated with.) the Head of ER, Dr. Vega, has to restore order. Later, he changes Lex’s schedule to Day shifts; Dr. Kace will be on Nights.

Lex has been asking questions about the young boy, and rushes to the OR where Griff is ready to begin one procedure…but has to stop when it’s evident that another approach is needed.

Griff rushes to the room of the woman he’s anxious to try his “technique” on…only to find that Sam already has her in surgery, with some (successful) adaptations to Griff’s proposed procedure.

He’s understandably upset that she’s taking full Medical Journal credit for his idea. The added news that Sam’s taking back the C/T Department (again, the final vote is still forthcoming) drives him to the whiskey bottle. He rages, and throws the glass.

Another confrontation happens…this one between Griff & Asher. Later that night, Asher takes his pillow off the bed he and Vivian had shared; obviously moving to the couch.

Sam and Lex seem to have resumed their friendship, and Joey & Tim may be reconciling….
Last edited by Hot Wheels on Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:30 am

First sneak peek at the Finale (lots of Jason!):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KmFIV9izrwc

BTW, The Griffith Technique is now available on Paramount+.

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:55 am

Thank you so much for the long and great synopsis, Hot Wheels. That tooks some time to do... :hug

Trying ot stay off the rants this week, but I just have to say one thing. Therapist using things that came out during therapy sessions against his patient, is unprofessional, even if the patient slept with his wife. But he's not getting fired either, because no one cares at this hospital.

I like that they put Norwegian singer/song writer Sigrid at the end with "Don't Kill My Vibe". She's great, I really like her, I still haven't heard a song from her that I don't like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzonQoON9eo

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:22 am

thunder wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:55 am
Thank you so much for the long and great synopsis, Hot Wheels.
YW, as usual. 😁
That tooks some time to do... :hug
You have no idea! 😵💫
…Therapist using things that came out during therapy sessions against his patient, is unprofessional….
Agreed (OTOH, at least Pyne kept his comments “private”…that is, within an office environment. I’m not sure if I felt sorrier for him or Vivian, when he took his pillow off the bed at the end….)
I like that they put Norwegian singer/song writer Sigrid at the end with "Don't Kill My Vibe". She's great, I really like her, I still haven't heard a song from her that I don't like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzonQoON9eo
I might have to check her out…!

Marie

Post by Marie » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:01 pm

This reminds me of Brotherhood. Griff was beginning to turn into a semi likable human being but then - boom - back to the obnoxious and self centered Griff. Like he got a “head injury”! Boomerang so fast my head hurt.

And Sam taking ALL the credit for the Griffith technique - was unprofessional. She should have said she adapted her father’s technique and performed the surgery herself but to say it was her idea is troubling.

I don’t blame Sam’s boy toy for wanting to leave. But he is one of the few sympathetic characters on the show.

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:43 pm

Good points, Marie.

I have promised myself I will try to keep rants at a minimum level this week, can't promise anything for next week. :mrgreen: nuke.gif

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:41 pm

thunder wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:43 pm
….I have promised myself I will try to keep rants at a minimum level this week, can't promise anything for next week. :mrgreen: nuke.gif
😉

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:36 pm

I think Sigrid is pretty great. Don't know her work but She was on Blue Peter a couple of weeks ago and was great.

Marie

Post by Marie » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:16 pm

I honestly don’t think Caleb wants to leave - he was just waiting for some glimmer of hope that he and Sam could have a relationship. But she was not about to give him that.

Return to “Good Sam”