Miss California Controversial answer

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Sea Lion Woman

Miss California Controversial answer

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:46 pm

I didn't know what title to put ok? :lol
So people what did you think about Miss California's answer?
For those who don't know, last week was the Miss USA Pageant and one of the judges (Blogger Perez Hilton) asked Miss California, Carrie Prejean, what she thought about gay marriage and if this should be accepted in every state (since just recently, Vermont has legalized gay marriage *yay!*)
Here's the video:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8XMvviFbkf0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8XMvviFbkf0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I really wanna hear/read your opinions about this and please let's try to be...politically correct :lol :oops:
TRY! :lol

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:59 pm

I know it's sometimes difficult to remember the difference between a country and a state when you're under pressure, but I'm having ...and such as the Iraq.... flashbacks.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 pm

As a resident Californian, I'm wincing in pain over her answer.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Personally, I was disgusted by her answer.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:41 pm

Like it or not, it is her opinion and that is what she was asked.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:05 am

She sounds a bit of a twit to me. Not to mention intolerant.
Hardly a role model to aspire to.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:48 am

Anonymous wrote:Like it or not, it is her opinion and that is what she was asked.
But she didn't even answer the question. The question was "Do you think every state should follow Vermont" not "What do you think about gay marriage"
and no one is saying she should've answered "i do believe in gay marriage" if she doesn't believe it, that's fine by me. Not all of us have to think the same way, but there are other ways to answer the question without being offensive. She totally alienated people from the lgbt community, and Miss America can't alienate people who belong to this country. Gay or not.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Perfect answer, SLW!!

and now the editor in me comes out
Miss USA

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:25 pm

The "job" of someone in one of these silly positions is to look nice and be diplomatic. Period. If you can't squirm your way around offending one of the judges, then you need to go back to debate club for a while.
Others have suggested that Perez Hilton (who is also profoundly irrelevant) was in the wrong for asking such a provocative question--um, provoke is what he does for a living. You want conciliation, get somebody else.

I was rather provoked by her assertion that she was defending "her God." Like she has a personal line direct to Heaven, where the Creator is in dire need of her assistance, because S/He can't deal with this issue alone.
ihatemondays

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:00 pm

Another thing that bothered was her saying the phrase "opposite marriage".....how is gay marriage "opposite marriage"
It's still a love bond between two people....it's the same as heterosexual marriage.
So stupid.
Also, people saying that it wasn't fair that Perez Hilton asked her that question are just oblivious. Homosexuality is not a taboo topic anymore, it's a reality. It's something that we all are aware of and have different opinions about it. It's the way she answered the question what bothered me the most.
I'm just...extremely frustrated and dissapointed.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:01 pm

Hilary the Touched wrote:The "job" of someone in one of these silly positions is to look nice and be diplomatic. Period. If you can't squirm your way around offending one of the judges, then you need to go back to debate club for a while.
Others have suggested that Perez Hilton (who is also profoundly irrelevant) was in the wrong for asking such a provocative question--um, provoke is what he does for a living. You want conciliation, get somebody else.

I was rather provoked by her assertion that she was defending "her God." Like she has a personal line direct to Heaven, where the Creator is in dire need of her assistance, because S/He can't deal with this issue alone.
ihatemondays
Amen Hilary, amen sister.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:00 am

And I was also insulted by her saying, "in My country." Sorry, Toots, but over 300 million people are part of Our country.

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:44 am

Sea Lion Woman wrote:Another thing that bothered was her saying the phrase "opposite marriage".....how is gay marriage "opposite marriage"
No, no - that was just her ineloquent way of saying "opposite-sex marriage". It just came out wrong and is now on urbandictionary.com.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=3904073

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:28 am

Oh my! In urban dictionary? :lol :lol
I still felt offended though....she should've thought about that before saying it IMO.
Her whole answer was just...offensive! I mean...I can't get how such a short answer was able to offend millions of people.
The power of words I guess.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:20 am

So once again the pen is mightier than a sword. Though she didn't use a pen... *snort*. I need to wait till I get home to watch the video, because now I have no sound.

Return to “Political Material”