Archie (Cary Grant biopic)

Jason plays Archibald Alec Leach in this TV series about the man who became the famous Hollywood actor, Cary Grant.. The four episode drama will premiere on ITVX in November 2023.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Archie (Cary Grant biopic)

Post by thunder » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:59 pm

Poster: https://twitter.com/CorestarPaul/status ... 8670306305

It looks really good, like a 1960's movie poster. :hands

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:17 pm

That is just so cool.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:39 am

Wow! It took only one day for the picture to disappear! :roll: Argh!

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:20 pm

An article about Cary Grant, told by his daughter, Jennifer Grant:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/j ... cary-grant
No aspect of his background showed up in his persona as the star of such classics as The Philadelphia Story and An Affair to Remember. It is hard to conceive now just how famous Cary was and what he represented: an idea of the sophisticated Englishman that made him Hollywood’s biggest male movie star of the prewar period, up there with Clark Gable and James Stewart. The question is how precisely he pulled this off and in the show, which has been written by Jeff Pope, who also co-wrote the Oscar-nominated movie, Philomena, the story flips between the childhood of Archibald Alexander Leach, as he was then known, and the mature Cary, who with his daughter’s approval, is played by Jason Isaacs. It was “clear from the outset,” she says, that he was the right actor for the role

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:22 pm

Did anyone see Becoming Cary Grant. It is an amazing documentary using Grants own words and tapes to explain his life. Boy was his childhood rough and I will not spoil things but you undersatnd the man so much more when you know what happened. No wonder he had issues with marraige.

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:31 am

I'd love to see the documentary, but it's not on any of the platforms that I'm subscribed to at the moment.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:18 am

Would you like me to give a review. I loved it.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:34 am

If you want to, yes please :D ❤️

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:03 pm

Ok. The show is made up of Grants owns personal cine films made over his lifetime. They show him on holiday, in the company of his many girlfriends and enjoying life. The voice of Cary Grant spoken by Johnathon Pryce who read Cary's letters and diaries which are just fascinating.

When he and his brother (I think he was called John) were just toddlers his mother accidently shut a door on his brother's finger. Tragically it turned septic and he died. This was the trigger for her mental collapse. The Leaches home which you see in the show was a lovely, but very modest home. After the tradedy Archie was told his mother had died and went to live with his Gran, He was abandoned by his Dad who remarried and had more children. Archie was left to fend for himself and spent many hours watching variety acts at the local theatre. He was a gifted tumbler and joined an act that did comedy and acrobatics and that troupe went on tour to the US. He already was a handsom man even in his teens when he left for the US. He left the troup and went into acting on broadway (off Broadway) and was discovered and changed his name. There is some footage of an early movie role where he does some tumbling. He cannot form longstanding relationships but his first wife and Cary did come back to Bristol to see where he grew up. I cannot recall how he found out his mam was alive but I think he was a star when that happened and did what he could for her and often visted her on the quiet. She looked so tiny and frail in the films he took. The LSD work he did was during his 3rd marraige and was extensive. The drug was leagal in those days and he spent a lot of time discusing the effect that these trips had on him, and he was adament they helped him find some peace and improve his realionships with women. He seemed to take responsibility at the failure of his relationships and how they had been affected by his childhood and his focus on work. This seemed to be the reason they went wrong and he seemed genuinely sorry about that. His love for his daughter was so sweet and the film of them eating breakfast in bed was a highlight. He loved being a Dad. If the script is good then Jason is going to be amazing in this project. So many moments to look forward to.
Last edited by Anniemouse on Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:43 am

Thanks for the review, Annie.

Looks like the source material for this TV series is really interesting. :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:28 pm

Really looking forward to seeing Archie. :wheee

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:45 pm

It says here ITV will launch it at the end of November:

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/media-r ... highlights
Archie, the drama covering the life of Hollywood’s greatest leading man - Cary Grant - and starring Jason Isaacs launching at the end of the month
One step closer. :D

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:26 pm

Not long until the trailer will appear. I am so looking forward to this project.

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:41 pm

I really look forward to it too, hope it will be available to watch where I am quickly. :D

Antoni Bandzior

Post by Antoni Bandzior » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:05 am

New promo photo session for the show. 🔥🔥🔥

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyQpbzHoPtm ... MzNjRlOQ==

Return to “Archie”