WHAT HAPPENS TO THEIR DARK MARKS?

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

marilaine

WHAT HAPPENS TO THEIR DARK MARKS?

Post by marilaine » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:25 pm

I was watching DH, part 2 the other night, and I got to wondering about something.
When Harry successfully disarms Voldemort, and he turns in to ashes, what becomes of the surviving Death Eaters, and would they still have a DARK MARK on their forearms? Hmmmmm. Curious. Very curious. :scratch

~ML :loco :scratch

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: WHAT HAPPENS TO THEIR DARK MARKS?

Post by Helen8 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Haven't a clue, marilaine. But it sure got me thinking about it. Might just have to see if J.K. said anything about that in book 7.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Good question, Marilaine. Now you got me wondering the same thing LOL.

~me

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:15 pm

I bet the marks would stay in some way. Didn't JKR say that the marks darkened when the Dark Lord announced his return? I can't imagine the Dark Lord allowing his followers off the hook by having their marks entirely disappear - perhaps they would look less like the tattoo on Lucius' arm (HP DH:1) and more like scarification marks or scars from brands?

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:05 am

I think that too, that it probably left a scar or something...

inamac

Post by inamac » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:35 am

In the books, the Dark Mark is a 'brand' rather than a tattoo - and none of the marked Death Eaters seem surprised that they didn't disappear after Voldemort's first 'death' - the convicted DEs in Azkaban still have them, and Snape's discussion with Karkaroff suggests that they had faded. Of course we know that Voldemort wasn't dead, but they didn't. Whether they fade or vanish on his real death isn't mentioned in the books - the only person we see alive '15 years later' is Draco, and book canon doesn't say whether he was Marked or not, so that's inconclusive.

Film canon is different. The Marks are tattoos, and Draco does have one - but, again, we don't see it at King's Cross - though I suppose that worry over the Mark may explain Draco's premature ageing...

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:11 am

inamac wrote:In the books, the Dark Mark is a 'brand' rather than a tattoo - and none of the marked Death Eaters seem surprised that they didn't disappear after Voldemort's first 'death' - the convicted DEs in Azkaban still have them, and Snape's discussion with Karkaroff suggests that they had faded. Of course we know that Voldemort wasn't dead, but they didn't. Whether they fade or vanish on his real death isn't mentioned in the books - the only person we see alive '15 years later' is Draco, and book canon doesn't say whether he was Marked or not, so that's inconclusive.

Film canon is different. The Marks are tattoos, and Draco does have one - but, again, we don't see it at King's Cross - though I suppose that worry over the Mark may explain Draco's premature ageing...
As ever, ina, a very eloquent and accurate reasoning.

'may explain Draco's premature ageing.' Good point. You are too generous, however - you mean horrific and traumatically bizarre ageing, surely? And there I was thinking it was the make-up team when all the while it was the presence of the Dark Mark. ;-)

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”