I have a fruitfly infestation

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Gillian
Site Admin

I have a fruitfly infestation

Post by Gillian » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:14 pm

It started about a month ago and now they're *everywhere*. I spent most of yesterday afternoon tossing out the stuff I thought they might be attracted to, then I cleaned the whole kitchen from top to bottom, but no joy. I know they only live about 24/48 hours so I'm hoping they'll just eventually die, BUT ... the strange thing is we've also had a problem at work and my parents have had issues at their apartment too.

So what gives? Is there some kind of plague going on? And what can I do if the problem persists?

Please help. The little bastards are driving me nuts. Especially when I'm at my computer.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:34 am

Well, if that don't beat all: San Diego–Toronto connection!

My next door neighbor (college kid) had an infestation. Luckily, we don't keep doors open unnecessarily, so it didn't spread to our unit too much. We had a few, which Allie would follow with her eyes, alerting us, so we could run around the room after them clapping away like idjits!

Sounds like you've done everything else that you could. Put all your houseplants outside until they're gone because they like the moist soil. Also, don't keep fresh fruit out until then. I don't know of any sprays you could use.

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:35 am

:shock: OMG, Gillian-I almost swatted the little thing!

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:21 am

Jeez Louise that little bugger looked real.

Pat

Post by Pat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 am

Gillian,
Here's the easiest way to get rid of the buggers (sorry, couldn't resist!)..

Put some wine--I think red works best--in a bowl or glass & leave it on the counter. They flock to it and drown. We had the worst infestation of fruit flies I've ever seen when we lived in an apartment at the edge of some fields (lots of farming on the Eastern Shore). I read about the wine trick, and within a few hours they were gone! You have to change the wine occasionally.

Gives you a good reason to crack open a bottle of wine!

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:43 am

OMG, Gillian-I almost swatted the little thing!
::rofl Me too!

I had them over the summer, but now that cooler temps are here, they're long gone. I get them because I have a composter in my backyard, and they occasionally find their way into the house, but I didn't know that about house plants in moist soil. I had to 86 all my succulents though, because they got into them and chewed them up. :rave

marilaine

Re: I have a fruitfly infestation

Post by marilaine » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:44 pm

Gillian wrote:It started about a month ago and now they're *everywhere*. I spent most of yesterday afternoon tossing out the stuff I thought they might be attracted to, then I cleaned the whole kitchen from top to bottom, but no joy. I know they only live about 24/48 hours so I'm hoping they'll just eventually die, BUT ... the strange thing is we've also had a problem at work and my parents have had issues at their apartment too.

So what gives? Is there some kind of plague going on? And what can I do if the problem persists?

Please help. The little bastards are driving me nuts. Especially when I'm at my computer.
OMG! I thought that thing was in this computer. :loco
Sorry to hear about the fruitfly prob. Gilly. I hope our Heloise sibling gave you the remedy you need. :hug
~M'L(C) :cool:

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:36 pm

Pat -- will anything sweet work? I'm loathe to waste good wine on them.

Helen -- I don't keep houseplants as they generally never survive and fruit is always kept in the crisper.

Actually, I've only seen a few today so I think they're dying off. I half expected to find the bathtub lined with their little corpses because for some reason that's where they all ended up last night.

For now though, it looks like I have some respite so fingers crossed!

pat

Post by pat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:51 pm

Gillian--not sure whether you can substitute. I just used the remnants of a bottle. I don't drink that much, so if I open a bottle there's usually a sizable amount left for cooking (whenever THAT happens!).

Glad to hear that your problem seems to be solving itself. That's the nice thing about fruit flies--their short lifespan!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:10 pm

She's Pest-Free at last!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:25 pm

I wish!!

Pat, I used orange juice instead. It actually made the problem worse!
I think they may be coming in from another unit, possibly through holes where the plumbing enters the kitchen and bathroom (inside the cupboards).

Until I learn where the problem originates, putting out sweet liquids of any kind is only going to attract more. :-(

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:18 am

Okay, probably your best bet then is to just make sure nothing is out for them to get into. Empty your trash daily, clean your garbage disposer (you can buy a foaming cleaner for those at any grocery store), and if you throw any type of vegetable item out, tie it up in a plastic bag first, real tight. Also, make sure your counters and stove are clean, even a tiny little bit of juice that was spilled and gone unnoticed will attract them. They're flies so they have exceptional sniffers, so even if a piece of fruit or veggie in your fridge goes bad, they will know it, so it probably wouldn't hurt to clean that out as well, if you haven't already.

When you've made sure that there is absolutely nothing in your house that is attracting them, they will die off in a day or two. Your theory about them coming in from another unit is a good one, but something is attracting them to your place - animals don't stick around where there's nothing for them to eat.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:42 pm

Great. Now you've made me paranoid.

Funny thing is, they were pretty much gone until I put out the orange juice. If I had just left well enough alone, I would've been alright.

BTW, they seem to have taken a shine to my Garnier Fructis hair conditioner (of all things). Guess I'll have to keep *that* in a bag for the time being too. :roll:

pat

Post by pat » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:09 pm

OK, we've established that orange juice won't work (sorry)

I haven't tried this one, but have heard it:

Put some cider vinegar in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, then poke some holes in the wrap with a toothpick. This creates a trap, as they like the vinegar, but can't find their way out of the holes.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:56 am

Well, I think the wine would have worked because either the alcohol in it would, by some mechanical means, kill the flies or it would have inebriated them to the point of drowning--the same principle behind using beer (Slugweiser) to kill slugs.
I get fruitflies too, especially in the summer when I keep the farmer's market nectarines out on the counter, and I can never figure out where they originate. I mean, they gotta come from somewhere . . . I'll keep my fingers crossed that the first good frost (that is, cold enough to knock out your TV again) will take care of 'em.

(and nice work infesting our computer screens!! Damn!)

Return to “The Bitch Box”