SWINE FLU OUTBREAK

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

marilaine

SWINE FLU OUTBREAK

Post by marilaine » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:22 pm

UGH! There's an outbreak of Swine Flu in the Coastal Bend.
Not sure exactly where it eminated from, but all news reports say that
it originated somewhere in Mexico. :uhoh
It's recommended no one travel there.
People coughing in the library makes me wonder if ANYONE watches the news or reads the paper.
(So far, Miller HS has been closed, and all UIL events postponed/cancelled)

~ML aaa.gif

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm

Yeah, Marilaine. The border states are all on alert. We've got several cases of it here in California, but right now they're all mild cases.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:53 pm

This ain't a local concern anymore, marilaine. Check the Swine Flu World Map.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:44 pm

A possible pandemic.

~me

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Fri May 01, 2009 2:15 am

The map isn't up-to-date, because there are two confirmed cases here in Israel and there's no indication of it.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Fri May 01, 2009 6:37 am

The map definitely isn't up to date. If I remember correctly there has been few suspected cases in Finland too and few people are quarantined. I don't how the things are progressing with them. And there has been a few false alerts also. PEople are starting to panic.... which I don't personally understand. If I get it and die, then I will. It all about the survival of the fittest. And I do not mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I am just a cynical woman. :mrgreen:

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Fri May 01, 2009 8:35 am

There are (I think) 50+ cases here in New York and a couple of schools in Brooklyn have closed. There are also 5 cases in New Jersey....so far they have being mild and the people who have been infected are already recovering quite well.
There's only being one death in Texas (I think) It was a 23 month old baby who died after coming to the US from Mexico.
This is getting really scary people! But then again...people said the same thing about the Bird Flu...and that other virus....let's hope it goes away as quickly as it came
*goes and washes her hands*

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Fri May 01, 2009 8:38 am

Scientists are already saying that it's turned into a weaker strain of the virus and may not be as bad as any winter flu season.

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/ ... 6923.story

This is a really good article that I read yesterday about swine flu. Check it out if you have the time.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Fri May 01, 2009 9:01 am

Foodie wrote:Scientists are already saying that it's turned into a weaker strain of the virus and may not be as bad as any winter flu season.

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/ ... 6923.story

This is a really good article that I read yesterday about swine flu. Check it out if you have the time.
I read the same thing and I also saw some news that said that people shouldn't worry that much, that we should let the Health Officials worry bout this.
And then the next day the swine flu was raised to a level two of alert...so idk what to believe.
I'm just gonna try to get as much Purell as I can lol

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Fri May 01, 2009 9:09 am

I think the media's coverage of this has been reprehensible during all of this. CNN talks about this so much that in any given hour, you might see all of 10 minutes of non-swine flu related news. And they use headlines like "ticking time bomb" and "mass deaths possible?" and it does nothing to soothe people's fears, but it sure keeps them glued to the tv watching. And yesterday CNN had the audacity to talk about "is the media blowing this out of proportion?" as if they weren't a part of it. As if it's all the other channels doing this, and they have been not a part of it. It's maddening, really. And now when this information about it not being as bad as expected is available, they don't switch over to focusing on that, but they keep up with the hysteria-inducing headlines and once in a while mention this other information. It's irresponsible reporting at best.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Fri May 01, 2009 9:14 am

You're 110% right Foodie! Even spanish news are reporting it every single second.
They's making me and my poor mother paranoid. I really am extremely and scared and paranoid (way more than I am) and no one is really helping.
I don't feel safe at all...and today I took the subway and I didn't even wanna touch anything. I was really freaking out :-( :bawl :bawl

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri May 01, 2009 9:26 am

I've stopped watching the cable news shows because they repeat it over and over and even a sane person gets upset.
If there is a panic it's because of over reporting. Just give us the fact in a sane, sensible manner.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Fri May 01, 2009 11:22 am

Media always make thing bigger than they really are. And the news media is the only way to get information, it is hard to know what is tru and what is not. I mean the normal influenza is danferous to those in bad health before and the senior citizens and the very young ones too. Something just as normal as summer might kill you. If it gets too hot I mean.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:45 am

Foodie, you are absolutely right. Fear keeps people attached to their TV sets. CNN (and all media) care more about their ratings than about what they are reporting on.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri May 01, 2009 1:25 pm

I wash my hands regularly, even at home, and I have my sister doing the same thing. She's more at risk because of her age and the fact that she doesn't take precautions like I do.
Call me obsessive, but I'd rather be uper safe than sorry. :XXX

~ML aaa.gif *rushestowashhands*

Return to “The Bitch Box”