Smoking!!

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

marilaine

Re: Smoking!!

Post by marilaine » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:29 pm

I tried smoking a couple of times back in 2001/2002, and when I heard myself wheezing as I ran for the bus, I decided....I QUIT. This sucks! *gagging*

~ML :spew2

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Good for you, marilaine!!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Back in my day smoking was the thing to do Everyone smoked. My how things have changed. We were pretty stupid but who knew?

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:18 pm

Cigarette companies, but they continued to push their toxins anyway. :-|
Can't stand the idea of kinda burning my money :D
Could also burn it in the garden and broil some marshmallows and sausages :D
::rofl

Seriously though--cigarettes are SO expensive!!! When I was a kid, my mother used to send me down to the corner store to buy a carton for her (I had to take a note, which was duly accepted :shock: ) and it was FIVE BUCKS! Which was a lot back then, but now?? Unfathomable. An amount of money that a person could have a pretty good time on. My mother, for example, always wanted to visit Great Britain, but 'couldn't ever afford it.' Any guesses how many trips' worth of smokes she went through??

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Hilary the Touched wrote:
Seriously though--cigarettes are SO expensive!!! When I was a kid, my mother used to send me down to the corner store to buy a carton for her (I had to take a note, which was duly accepted :shock: ) ....
Hilary, I thought my siblings and I were the only kids to have to buy their parent's cigarettes. My dad's usual; large, regular Export A. No note needed. This was 37 or so years ago.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:58 am

My Brothers and I were never asked to purchase cigs because we were to busy flushing them down the toilet. Dad took to locking them up until he finally quit!

Lizzie

Post by Lizzie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:47 pm

Lisabella wrote:Horrible habit. And too hard too quit once you begun. I've been smoking for two years now but it's time I try to quit. There's nobody in the family smoking but many of my friends so it's realls hard to refuse when you're out with them. But I'll make it. Can't stand the idea of kinda burning my money :D
Could also burn it in the garden and broil some marshmallows and sausages :D
Forgive me for digging up old threads all the time but I'm off for my holiday break from work and I have some time to go through the board. LOL. Just wondering if Lisabella managed to quit by now?

I used to smoke and at a certain point went up to 2 packs a day. I was only 22 years old at the time. My grandfather died of lung cancer and yet my mother picked up smoking since I was born which will be 30 years ago this year. Both my parents and my one sibling smoke but I've managed to quit. About seven years ago, I was diagnosed with a sleeping disorder and I was told to loose weight and quit smoking which I did at the same time. Nowadays, it's the bagpipes that keep me from starting again. Perhaps some of you won't like me for saying this but when I recently saw Case Histories, mister Isaacs made smoking look so good I was happy there weren't any cigarettes in the area... :oops: However, I can happily announce that I still don't smoke again, Belgian laws recently forbid smoking in pubs and most of my friends don't smoke either.

Lizzie

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Just wondering if Lisabella managed to quit by now?
Lisabella posted that her SISTER was trying to quit.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:26 pm

I think I've said this before. I've been off them for almost 25 years and sometimes they still smell pretty good. It's hard to resist the urge.
But other times they smell awful so I'm not tempted. I guess it will always be a fight.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Lizzie, we understand--Jason Isaacs can make tattooed armlessness look appealing. :cool:
Glad you resisted though!

ln419

Post by ln419 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:19 am

My mom used to smoke, we'd grab the carton (usually a new one, soak them in water, then freeze them), boy was she angry, then she had her first heart attack when I was 12 (I'm the eldest). Seems a shame that it takes a heart attack to stop someone from smoking. Neither my sister, nor I smoke (unless you include the year and a half I lived and worked in a home for handicapped adults (quads) in Israel and THEY all smoked, I had to go BUY them, and START them, and then bring them to their lips for them to smoke, but thank G-d never picked up that disguesting habit; convinced my kids to never smoke either, so I'm batting 1000!!! Maybe our charming Mr. Isaacs could take a word from the wise, and if he goes back to doing Case Histories...Jackson could possibly have become allergic to cigarette smoke, makes his voice sound very deep and raspy anyway.

Return to “The Bitch Box”