SPOILER ALERT: Lost Girls disussions of episodes . . .

Good Sam is a new series for CBS, about a young top surgeon who ends up as her dad's supervisor after he comes out of a coma. Jason Isaacs plays the arrogant dad and former top surgeon.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: SPOILER ALERT: Lost Girls disussions of episodes . . .

Post by thunder » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:41 pm

Well, I expect there to be some confrontations in the next episode.

I liked the show better when the constant fighting between father and daughter stopped, but now I start to notice the other annoying aspects even more.... It's really not my type of show. :bag:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:11 pm

I think Jason did a great job directing but I am sorry to say that the show is going even deeper into the soap opera rabbit hole. A married person and a person in a steady relationship (even if they are ex-es) are not going to make love in a professional office with the blinds wide open. Oh wait - I guess if you are the type to leave incriminating reports in your office instead of destroying them - perhaps you would leave the blinds open….. Hope Griff enjoyed it because I doubt Lex will easily forgive.

Seriously - if I was not so desperate to see my favorite actor - I would not watch this show!!!

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:54 am

Some scenes had a bit more depth that ususal, and I give Jason credit for that. Well done. :hands

I only watch because I want to take part in the discussion.

What was that final scene? One sip of alcohol and not one of them can control themselves?
What's with the guy who walks out in the middle of surgery because he is upset?
Resident doctors have so little to do that they can just insert themselves into surgery they want to take part in and just take over other resident's patients?
New resident in the E.R. can just go and hang with her boyfriend in a different department, because no one notice if she's missing?
Exploiting subordinates for sex because you need stress relief is totally OK? Whatever happened to playing piano?
...and, in spite of all this no one is getting fired from this hospital, which they try to sell off as one of the best in the country. :lol

I ranted again, but I'm not ashamed. :soap :D
I feel better now. :wheee

Marie

Post by Marie » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:25 am

And really sorry but Vivian is in a relationship, Griff is in a relationship and yet he says something in a meeting that Vivian was not even in and she goes all crazy in love over the ex?????? I was starting to like Griff but it seems this family just uses people.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:51 pm

Seriously - if I was not so desperate to see my favorite actor - I would not watch this show!!!

Ditto.

I said something similar a few weeks ago when the bickering got to me. :bang

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:24 pm

There are no characters in this series that behaves like real people. :roll:

Marie

Post by Marie » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:00 pm

Got to laugh because when I read one of Jason’s interviews he talked about uplifting stories - I have to say the medical cases shown are not realistic and the Doctor’s, administrators, and most on this show are pretty shitty people as far as using people, lack of forgiveness, cheating on significant others and just being all around annoying. Guess I must have missed the uplifting part (unless he was referring to the sex…..)

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:24 am

In case anyone else is interested, here’s a synopsis and cast list for The Griffith Technique….

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20220411cbs02/

…not to mention a VERY incriminating trailer….

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSAfW43CsNE

~~~~~

As usual, I’ll try to have the synopsis for the full ep up before Paramount+….

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:04 am

Thanks, Hot Wheels. :D

The writing for this show is so juvenile. Like how teen agers think adults behave like. I’m not sure what causes that, but the whole show feels unreal. Is it written by adults?

A hospital according to this show is a place where doctors come to hang out and see if they get a patient or two that day. They clearly have so much spare time that they can just party, get drunk and have sex. They visit each other in different departments,just to hang out. They take over patients that have been asigned to other doctors, decorate a room in the hospital to propose to their boy friend among other things? And it’s not uplifting, it’s annoying. There is not one likable character, and it’s not «flawed» or «interesting» characters, they are all a** holes, and down right just unbelievable. I couldn’t care less about any of them. The least I ask for in a show it’s that I get transported into the world a little bit and that things make some sense at least in that context, but I watch this and just call bull sh**.

This is not a hospital, and the characters aren’t even resembling caricatures.

:razzlite

People were discussing Jason as a possible Oscar nominee this year, and now he's stuck in this sub par soap opera... :bang He's doing the best he can with what he has to work with, but this show isn't doing anything to promote his career. I'm glad he says he has a great time working on it and that he likes the people, though. At least there are something positive.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:35 am

Synopsis for episode 13 (Season finale):
WEDNESDAY, MAY 4
GOOD SAM (10:00-11:00 PM)
“To Whom It May Concern” – The battle between Sam and Griff takes a shocking turn that will irrevocably change their family dynamic and the future of the hospital. First season finale.
https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/04/cbs-a ... lines.html

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:51 pm

thunder wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:35 am
Synopsis for episode 13 (Season finale):
WEDNESDAY, MAY 4
GOOD SAM (10:00-11:00 PM)
“To Whom It May Concern” – The battle between Sam and Griff takes a shocking turn that will irrevocably change their family dynamic and the future of the hospital. First season finale.
https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/04/cbs-a ... lines.html
Sorry to hear Sam and Griff may be butting heads again. If nothing else, it’ll be interesting to see how that comes about and plays out….

Marie

Post by Marie » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:55 pm

Let’s see …. Perhaps the Board decides that Griff can’t be the Chief of Surgery, and they again make Sam the Chief. Vivian gets fired for withholding the Report of Griff’s accident under the influence. Lex decides she been done wrong and does a Lorena Bobbit on Griff….. The sad part is that I am not invested in any of the characters so I don’t really care. In fact the only likable character is the receptionist.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:52 am

See I have been trying to get me head around this as I have not seen the show. I can see that the actors can act so that is not the issue obviously.

Jason strikes me as an actor who is in love with the process and in this case really go on with the cast and crew. I think he looked so releaxed and happy. However I think TV and movie dramas are in trouble. For a start the Pandemic has put untold pressure on the industries and I think over the last 20 years it has become producer based rather than script based. This is a major issue. Also everything is so risk averse. Then we have an industry whose business models are starting to catch up with them (I gather Netflix is having issues) Throwing aways quality shows does not pay off in the long run as that undermines viewer loyalty when you need it.

Then you have Jason. He obviously enjoys the process of acting and has said he is not ambitious. I can now see that his idea of professional hell is to be in a hit movie franchaise or tv show where he hates who he works with. I can only imagine actors must panic if they are not working but Jason always seems busy, seems to have no ego and is well liked in the business.

As admirers we see great work and sometime headscratchers. I think Good Sam need a major overhaul with the script editors froim your comments. Also you get the impression that CBS wanted a medical drama. Perhaps the audience doesent and it is simply that.

I wish tv and film would be daring but that costs money and I feel as a 50 something that they are just after under 25's. I think thing will get worse as well. Notice how movie awards are rewarding movies with limited audiences as there has been a collapse in the middle section.

I think there is hope. I believe Jason and Fran will work together again and they have both took the eye of critics so that is something. He is a wonderer who looks for the next challange. Could you see Jason doing 10 seasons of one show or 6 movies in a franchise. Maybe I am wayoff. By the way I really like that you are all so honest here.

I don't think Good Sam is bad. But it could have been so much better.

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:36 pm

I will be one of the first to praise Jason’s projects that I really like (like Mass and Death of Stalin among many), but I will also be brutally honest and especially I will be honest directly to Jason. I have told him in person when I didn’t like something and even when I didn’t like a performance (which only happened once - I hated the way he played his character in Soldier (1998) and I told him why.).

Absolutely nothing is wrong with 95% of the performances - it is the writing. The show is more soap opera than Medical Drama - it just takes place at a hospital. The actions that the characters take are not realistic - if people acted that way they all would have been reported to HR and there would be huge lawsuits. I’m not sure the show really knows what it wants to be - nighttime soap opera, warm family drama, comedy or medical show?

Although I am slamming the show I still do it out of love ❤️! Though I adore seeing Jason weekly (or as weekly as damn CBS will air it!) I hate seeing Jason on a project that is not getting good reviews and/or buzz or making the best use of his considerable talent.

So if we peeps criticize the show - know that we still adore Jason - and would watch him in just about anything! (Except Hotel 2.)

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:53 am

Wow thank you Marie. How did Jason take your comments. I have not seen that movie. Your comments about Good Sam are valid. Oddly I think I would watch Hotel 2 but I am a weirdo. aaa.gif

Return to “Good Sam”