UK premiere

Jason plays admiral John Godfrey in this war drama about a British deception operation during World War 2. The movie is based on Ben Macintyre's book about Operation Mincemeat.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

UK premiere

Post by thunder » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:23 pm

thunder

Re: UK premiere

Post by thunder » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:24 pm

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:13 pm

Wonderful

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:22 am

Red carpet interviews, Jason comes on at around 2:38:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWt8hyxJi70

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:35 am

I had to laugh at the narrator stating the "Two Mr Darcy's comment" Had not noticed that.

servalan

Post by servalan » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:37 am

Anniemouse wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:35 am
I had to laugh at the narrator stating the "Two Mr Darcy's comment" Had not noticed that.
Kelly Macdonald said that to the camera.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:02 am

OOOPs Sorry.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun May 01, 2022 4:29 pm

I went to see the film today along with my husband. I vaguely remember the old B&W film on the same topic, but he remembers it much better than me.

I thought it was very well done. It's not exciting in the sense that you know what happened IRL, but it was fascinating to see all the planning that went into the deceit. However, it's one of those films where you want to go and look up afterwards what really happened in the sense of rivalries & relationships between the characters, and indeed some of that is fiction or at the very least embellishment, not fact.

The cast are all really good, with some well-known names & faces in there, including Jason of course. He uses his Lucius/Tavington posh voice, and gets to swear at least twice in a film with virtually no swearing. My husband says he was playing a nasty character again. I agree up to a point, he was very sceptical that the plan would work, and said so in no uncertain terms - but IRL people's lives depended on the decision to carry out the plan or not. He has a decent amount of screen time, although he is not the main character. Simon Russell Beale plays Churchill, with whom Jason has a couple of scenes, which was interesting after seeing them together in The Death of Stalin.

The feeling and the costumes of the 40s were well done, but the London wartime blackout rules were broken all the time so we could see actors' faces on doorsteps. I kept expecting a warden to appear shouting "Put that light out!"

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun May 01, 2022 4:52 pm

Thank you for your personal thoughts. Much appreciated.

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue May 10, 2022 2:28 pm

Thanks for the review, Servalan. :D

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu May 19, 2022 1:15 pm

I went to see it today, because I'm afraid it will be taken off soon (in my local Norwegian cinema). A lot happened at work today, and my head wasn't really in the right place, so I think I'll probably watch it again before I give a fuller "review".

It was all right, and it was interesting to see a WW2 story that I didn't know much about. Jason had a somewhat antagonistic role, as his character doesn't believe the scam will work, and even plays the two leads up against each other. It was great to see all the amazing actors in the same movie.

:D

Return to “Operation Mincemeat”